1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to charge for broadcasting fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by SuperShovel, Oct 29, 2003.

1. SuperShovel

SuperShovel LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone

I do mostly landscape installs.

I just started a fertilizer program for my customers. I need to come up with my rates and have no clue what the going rate is, can you guys help me?

I'll be broadcasting with my new lesco spreader. Also, do you charge up front for a whole year? How do you bill your customers?

Also next season I'll be wanting to hire someone with a MI herbicide/pesticide liscense if anyone is interested let me know.

Thanks, Tom
  2. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I charge for the fertilizer, for my gas to go pick it up and for my time. An example, I have a small yard that takes about 1 large bag. If it costs me $15 for the bag, I charge about 30 bucks...5 extra for the fertilizer and 10 dollars for the application. It only takes about 10 min. to apply (if that). I'm like you though...I really don't know how other guys charge and would be interested in hearing new methods or calc'ns.
  3. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

$3.50 to $5.00 per thousand, and $20.00 stop fee.
  4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

$12, per k, per app
  5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

I am still pretty new to the business, and am curious to see what other guys charge myself. I generally charge to fertilize what i charge to mow the lawn plus the cost of the fertilizer plus $5 or so for each 50lb bag. If i split the fertilize rate and do a criss cross pattern, i double what i charge to cut the grass plus fertilizer costs and my mark up for the fertilize.
  6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

.05-.08 / year for 5 apps. Depending on what applications are included. If merit is applied add another round. ie a 10k lawn would be $500 for the year add merit for another $100. Some guys like the idea of .05 plus a $35 drop fee. Just don't give the stuff away. Keep in mind your are not just throwing fert down. Any homeowner can do that. You are supplying a service for when a problem arises, like pythium or summer patch etc. The knowledge to identify, assess,and correct is really what they are paying for. Never under sell your knowledge and capability.
  7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

PS don't drop the bottom out of this side of the business like everyone has with grass cutting.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

amen turf hokie! this is a good racket, lets keep it that way. u r right, you are not only selling the service, you are selling your experience, ability to identify, and capability to treat any pest , weed or fungus.
  9. summergrove

summergrove LawnSite Member

It cost me from 16 to 20 per k a year with a 6 app program. When customers agree to get on the program I charge 7 to 10$ per k per app. I agree with turf hokie dont cut prices this is were we make up for every joe that wants to start a LCO. Good luck.
  10. JTHutch

JTHutch LawnSite Member

I charge $4/1000 pluse $10 or $20 stop fee depending on the size of the lawn. $30 minimum. Small yards are the best money maker!!!!