What to charge for brush mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DeereHauler, Feb 10, 2005.

1. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

Hi everyone,

i'm new here. but my newest venture is brush mowing. i bid a job last year that included a large retaining pond. i gave a price and got the bid. i bought a 4' brush mower, and let my brother , who has a tractor do the mowing, and i pay him accordingly. well that price is set, each and every time.
    the problem is that my brother decided he can mow empty lots for people, and he charges around $50 an hour, if not more, and he thinks i should only get $15/hr, because i only own the mower. so no matter what he decides to charge he only tells me the hours he used it.

what would you charge, or what do some of you charge for a similar job, whether you just own the equipment like me, or do the work yourself?

the price of $15/hr was taken from a local rental store on the same mower. so the mowing season is almost here and i'm not happy with that price, but i don't know what it should be.

thanks for any, and all help, i think i'll enjoy this site. :waving:
  2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

What are YOUR expenses? Charge accordingly. No sense charging less than what it costs...

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

So is this right. Your brother has the tractor and does the mowing. Only using your mower. He can get one at the rental yard but he is using yours and paying the same rate. If that is the case, it sounds OK.
  4. bills47172

bills47172 LawnSite Member

sounds like a good deal for you. he supplys tractor, fuel?,transports tractor? runs tractor and would be held liable if somebody gets hurt? he lines up the other work? you supply a bushhog. who has the most money and time invested?? still sounds like a great deal for you.
  5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

well i guess the best way to determine whats right would be to check and varify the rental rate. He could bring your hog back go buy his own and then steal the one account too. better take the 15 bucks. its money without the work as long as he is not operating with the intent that you are insuring him.
  6. Indydirtfarmer

Indydirtfarmer LawnSite Member

I have 2 tractors running almost full-time during the summer months. I do bush hogging for several commercial real estate brokers and agents. My tractors are 60HP with 7' heavy duty mowers. In "clean ground" they are capable of over 4 acres per hour. Rough ground can slow that down to 1-1/2 to 2 acres an hour. I get $60 per hour, with 2 hour minimum. The "going rate" per acre is $16 around here.

That being said, I wouldn't consider mowing with someone elses mower for $45 an hour. The Woods BB8400 mowers I use cost around $3200 each. the tractors are about $29000.

I'd say his offer of $15 an hour favors YOU more than your brother. :D
  7. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

thank you for the replies! i'll take what i get , sounds like you all agree! i just hope he doubles or triples his accounts this year!