What to charge for driveway removal??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by rppaving, Sep 22, 2013.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I have a guy who will do it for a dollar a foot
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sub it out to that guy! I couldn't even cover my overhead for $1200
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. rppaving

rppaving LawnSite Member

I was thinking $3-4 a square foot, is that too high?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. alexschultz1

2 30 yard dumpsters at $300, a bobcat with grapple bucket $550, 3 guys with rakes and sledge hammers, and then your overhead and taxes on profit. Saying it takes one day, you should charge around $2000 and make around $400 after everything. but what happens if the job ends up taking 2 days? You are out of pocket to finish. However You should be able to finish in one day if you have everything on site.

5. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to think hard about having to line up everything, get everybody together, and only make $400. Seems like slim margins.. What if you tear something up? There goes most the profit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

If you can run a bobcat and the cans are there at 8am you should be sweeping up at lunch. One or two guys on the ground max.

Why are they just ripping it?

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That's about a tri-ax load of asphalt. I would charge about 1500 or so, but it would only take me 3 hours max. The real money comes when laying the new one. This is based on a 4 hour rental of the tri-ax and I own my own excavators and skids. Dumping fees here are about 10bucks a ton. I'm figuring 20 tons max in there at 4" depth.
    Everyone has a different scenario, so don't come on here expecting someone to tell you how much to charge. We all must base the charges on our experience and our equipment availability. If you own nothing and only rent then you may be best to just sub it out to someone who knows what they're doing and has the equipment to do so.

8. alexschultz1

I was thinking about prep work for a new driveway too. Wouldn't you be expected to grade it and prep for concrete? That takes forever if they used a gravel base.

The $400 would be what you get after taxes and all (my) overhead. I would be happy to take home $400 after easy jobs like this. That's good money my friend.

And zedo can do this job for $1500 because he has the equipment, man power, and experience to do the job quick and correctly. Unfortunately for us little guys, we have to protect ourselves and bid higher.

9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I understand that it's all money but it just doesn't quite seem worth it to me, but I've never torn up asphalt, just concrete... But for all that hassle I'd rather just sub it out, make $100-$200 and not have to work..
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I would be in the $1500-1800 range.

I own my Skidsteer and would hauloff with my 20yd dump trailer. We have a local recycling place that takes concrete and asphalt for free.
    Posted via Mobile Device