1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to charge for edging?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jrm, Feb 17, 2001.

1. jrm

jrm LawnSite Member

I left a post about a week ago that I was going to add edging (sidewalks, driveways, etc.) to my existing part time lawn service. What, on average, is everyone charging for this service? Do you charge by the hour or by the job?
  2. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Edging is included as part of the weekly mowing service. i have never thought of any different. If it is a drive or walk thats really bad(like a new account) i would add extra time.
  3. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Basic lawn service allways includes edging in my area. I would not advertise to do just that service because you will get too many calls from people who haven't edged their sidewalks in 20 years and the turf is grown 12" over the edge. A sidewalk like this can take hours to do. When I take a new account that hasn't had regular edging done in a long time I do a little each week, until the whole job is done and then continue weekly from there. It should only take a few minutes each time, once this has been done and edging puts the icing on the cake of lawn maintenance. It gives the lawn that finnished look that people are willing to pay for.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Occasionally in the spring someone will walk up and ask about edging for them. If its real bad I will not put my equipment thru it since its not a repeat customer. If it can be done in a decent amount of time without serious wear on my equipment I will charge based on hourly fee minimum of 1 hr. Usually only take 20 to 30 minutes so that works out well.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Down here it's the norm to edge, people that hire lawn services expect it. I just figure it in with everythng else. On your next bid just add $5.00 to the price and start setting yourself apart from the rest.

There ain't nothin' pertier than a curb done right. :D
  6. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I am like Hommer in I just add it to my bid price. I do not like the look of a lawn that is not edged. I have lost people because I would not take of the edge cutting from my program and give them a cheaper price. It makes me look bad when the lawn is cut nice and clean and the edge is growning over the side walk like some kind of green wave.
  7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with these guys, edging should be included. None of my customers ever asked me to do it, I just do. It finishes the job. I have to say it is tiring on those long runs. Maybe I'm using it wrong, I don't know. I probally just need to get used to it. It wears me out. I've just recently started edging and have to say it does look nicer that using a trimmer.
  8. WatkinsLawn

WatkinsLawn LawnSite Member

On residentials I include it as part of the mowing service. On commercial I charge extra depending on how often they want it edged. If I edge something weekly for 10.00 more the same edging would be 60.00 more if they only want it once per month. Or if they only want edged every other month (I hate those) I charge 150.00. The key is I make it more expensive to edge less frequently than to allow us to edge it every week since the more time between edgings take more time, more clean-up and puts more wear and tear on my equipment.