What to charge for hedges?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, May 10, 2001.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

How do you guys charge for hedges? First time shaping, and maintenance. I have a customer who wants me to "shape" about 40 hedges that have weeds growing out of the top of them. I was thinking of laying a tarp or two down while I cut to catch the leaves. Will definately be a pain. I cleaned them up some with my electric edger and pulled some of the weeds out. Now the weeds are growing out the top again and the hedges look ok (except for darn weeds) but could be better. I was thinking of buying a stick hedge trimmer (Shindaiwa) and getting fancy. Any suggestions? For some reason my search isn't working.

2. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

first time jobs like that I always charge hourly rate ...so much per man hour ...2 man crew.... I try to estimate the amount of time for them to give them a general idea of the cost....works for me

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I charge by the man hour.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Please, please, please, go with the tarps. Don't leave trimmings all over the place, that looks sooo trashy.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

if your going to continue with hedging ...get a nice small gas power to start with .....hourly rate on any hedging job ....even routine work (which includes clean up n' dump if no area to unload the mess).....we rake it out onto the grass or cement (on to a tarp) than blow back in the small little stuff that always hangs around ....then suggest a mulch job to finish it .....Good Luck :->

6. B & S Lawn Care

B & S Lawn Care LawnSite Member

do you just tell the customer outright your hourly rate or is the best way to estimate the time you'll take?

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I do it either way. It will be $35 per man hour x 5 man hours. Or... it will be $175 for us to do the job. Depends.

8. CSRA Landscaping

That's funny, Ray.

9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I am assuming you mean bushes, because 40 hedges would make for a rather large estate.

I charge $3 to trim a medium bush, $5 for a large one, and $10 for an extra large one that I have to use an extended hedge trimmer on or a ladder.

Customers usually wait as long as possible to have me do the first trimming, but I stick to my prices, because once the initial clip is done, subsequent ones will not be so hard.

Thursday I did 26 bushes @ $3 each in about 15 (fast and hard) minutes. Personally, I would never bid this type of job by the hour - the customer would swallow very hard and say "forget it".<G> By the piece seems more benign.

10. CSRA Landscaping

A question for all of you seasoned veterans ... how often do you trim shrubs at your properties? I find myself doing it every week.