what to charge for leaves

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by accuratelawn, Oct 11, 2006.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

What is everyone charging for leaf work this season?
    Two or three times regular mowing?
    Hourly rate?
    Dump fees?
    Ect?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

$45 per hour for senior, $50 per hour for everyone else. $55 per hour if I have to suck up piles (gotta pay for the new 22hp little wonder truck leaf loader) and dump fees. I expect 80% of my dumping will not cost me anything and 20% will cost me $35 per dump at a farm. Eveyone who has piles sucked up WILL be charged a dump fee. I'm also thinking of charging them for a mow if I'm cutting grass while sucking up the leaves. $$$$$

3. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

$60/hour. Regardless if I am simply cutting the leaves up or sucking them up. AS far as dumping, I bring them home with me and dump them in my back yard. COMPOST PILE! I never buy mulch for my own residence!

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else have ideas?
    In the past I have charged 2.5 times regular mowing price for every other week leaf clean up. I usually start at the end of October to first week or November. On a typical lawn I would do 3 to 4 clean ups.

5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I do 2x the price of mowing if they were signed up for us for the whole mowing season. But if it is some random account that I don't do or have never done it 3x the price I would mow for.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My prices vary based on amount and size of property. Dump fees are always charged unless customer saves them for a compost pile or allows them to be put it the woods.

7. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

For the last three years, I usually gave them a quote based on me guessing. WOrked well for the most part but a couple of times I lost a little cash because of either too much wind or rain...

Anyway, this year, I'm setting everything up by the hour:

$60/hr for mowing and mulching in place (If they qualify)

$130/hr for vac system pick-up and back pack blower.

If I can't leave leaves on site, leaf pick-up starts at $100.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First I find leaves difficult to estimate... They can take as much as twice as long and as little as half as long as I previously thought, even if I get started the minute the price slips out of my mouth.

Second I find a large segment of population calls this time of the year, folks who never call for anything the entire rest of the year WILL call me for leaves... These people are not familiar with the pricing scheme.

Last but not least, the demand is horrible as more than a few Lco's categorically refuse to deal with leaves.

Thus, I do leaves first and foremost for regular customers that have been with me at least the entire year.

This method leaves me with a trusting customer base where I can do it by the hour and charge what I have to get once it is done, it is the only way that is fair to both them and me.

9. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

don't get him started on leaves!

seriously though, i was thinking.... it takes me twice as long to do leaves before clean-ups, about, sometimes 2.5x as long. i'm on a seven month contract, april through october, xxx per month. i was thinking, making it something like 8.5 months price paid over 7 months to cover the extra work in october then doing hourly cleanups in november. yea or nay?

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If you can make it work, fine. I just would be concerned with including the cost of a clean-up that until you actually get to the site, on the day it needs to be done, you really don't know what you're up against.