What To Charge For Moving Dirt?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by StihlBR600, Jan 22, 2011.

1. StihlBR600

StihlBR600 LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday i was out plowing the driveway with the skid steer and a guy stopped and asked me if i did landscape work. I said yes just to see what he wanted. He told me that he lives like a half mile down the street and in the spring hes getting 20 yards of fill dirt and 8 more yards of top soil. He wanted to know if i could move all of the dirt to his backyard. I said sure and gave him my business card and told him to call me in the spring. I had no idea what to quote a job like that so i told him around $400 What would you charge if you were in my shoes? keep in mind i dont have to rent equipment such as a trailer or skid steer.

2. dwmason

dwmason LawnSite Member

Sounds like a fair charge - I would figure the hours needed to move the dirt x my per hour rate - 28 total yards to move would depend on how far it is to his backyard. I would think you could easily do this in 1/2 day so 400 without any rental would be a good paycheck

3. StihlBR600

Ok good i figured i wasnt too far off. Im guessing that it would be about 200 feet at the most. The bucket holds about 3/4 of a yard so im looking at about 40 trips.

4. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your hourly rate for labor & equipment?...if you don't have an hourly rate you should sit down and calculate one? And I wouldn't have given him a price for a job in the spring and one that you didn't walk out. All my estiamates are good for 14 days....you quoted him $400 so i guess that's your price.....good luck

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Have you seen the property don’t be surprised if you have to go trough a 36’’ gate ok you can always use your wheelbarrow:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:

6. StihlBR600

He just asked for a ballpark guess on how much it would cost. I told him about $400. I work for $40 an hour plus when using my own skid steer another $20. So $60 an hour is what im going for. I dont have any costs except for the gas i use on the job.

7. avguy

avguy LawnSite Senior Member

$400 1/2 day for a bobcat & operator in our area.

8. StihlBR600

Yes so my quote was the right price. Ill make bank on the job and itll cost me maybe $40 in gas

9. jeffslawnservice

jeffslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I would just check and make sure it isnt through a small gate or you need to get it over a wall or something crazy. I have run into that before.

10. StihlBR600

Its a straight shot into his backyard. He said the dumptruck would fit but they couldnt take it back there because of his septic field