1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to charge for mowing a neighbor's yard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NickelPlate759, Aug 17, 2004.

1. NickelPlate759

NickelPlate759 LawnSite Member

My neighbor is fed up with his lawn service, so much so, that he refuses to hire any other commerical lawn service to do the cutting. He is handicapped, and unable to mow the lawn himself, so he has asked me to do it for him. So I was wondering, how much should I charge him?

He has a flat 2.5-3 acre lot (almost identical to mine), with very few obstacles or "tight" areas. It takes me 3 hours to cut my lawn, so I figure his lawn should take me a similar amount of time.

To help you, it should be known, we live in a rural part of New Jersey with a very high cost of living. Considering I'm not "in the business", I will not have any overhead costs. I do not know how much he paid for weekly lawn service, neither do I have any idea how much lawn services cost.

I hope this paints a good picture for you, any info would be appriciated.
  2. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

please provide type of equipment you intend to use...
  3. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

Take your average wage figure three hours add in gas and a pint of oil and there you are.
  4. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I give my neighbors a small discount cuz of the conveinance factor. so if it were my neighbor I would do it for $125. I would ask him what he was paying and maybe give him a little of a discount.
  5. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know to much about NJ but from what I hear and see about real estate prices, it is real expensive and I for one would charge someone with that much mowing being in central Kentucky which has slightly lower than average living cost around 2hours time with a 52" Z $120 with minimal trimming and blowing as most large yards are. But factor in a COLA for New Jersey and it would probably be 15-20% higher.
  6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd come in close to $150.

I am in MI though, and only use a 44" ZTR

7. CapnDean

CapnDean LawnSite Member

So lemme get this straight: YOUR neighbor....who isn't satisfied by ANY lawn care professional....wants to pay YOU: an accountant (or an engineer...or whatever it is you do...fill in the blank) to mow HIS lawn.

What makes you think that YOU will be able to satisfy him? I would be veeerrrrryyy careful here...sounds like a great way to piss off your neighbor and STILL have to live next door.

If your neighbor and you have been best pals for 10 years or better...then I might would consider it. But I still wouldn't do it for money.

Here ya go PAL; "You buy us a first class ZTR... I'll sell my ole beat up riding mower.... I'll get a stihl weedeater and blower (with the proceeds from the sale of my rider and my wallet) and I will cut your yard and mine."

This way...you could get your grass cut faster (with the new ZTR) and leave you enough time to cut his without costing you another day's labor.

Then if he decided he did not like the way you cut the grass...he could take the beating on his investment or try to get someone else to cut his grass with HIS new mower. You on the other would have a first class weedeater, a first class blower and the greatest excuse in the world to buy a new mower!

SEE ... EVERBODY wins!

PS: If you neighbor is too cheap to buy a $6000 ZTR....then he is too cheap to pay you to cut his grass!
  8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think it is a good idea to work for neighbors. Just politely decline and be honest. People understand.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Working fo neighbors and not being in business considering he doesn't want ANY commercial cutter involved sounds like trouble at your doorstep.
  10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that. I do not work for neighbors...for any amount of money. No good can come of it.