what to charge for putting down rock?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by cubsfan1, Apr 11, 2012.

1. cubsfan1

cubsfan1 LawnSite Member

This is my first rock job and not sure what u guys would charge. I've done a tone of mulch jobs, but do you charge by the ton which I'm guessing you do. It's going to be around 50 ton of river rock going in. Any help would be appreciated.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out how many hours it would take to do the job and your cost for labour,
    add that to the cost of the rock and the delivery and add a small profit.

Any installation is the same.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I charge around a 100 a yrd,rock and labor.

4. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

per yard we do price of per yard plus our markup which includes delivery, usually around 30% plus 40$/yard for labor

just depends on your truck situation,labor costs and over head. We have a dump with a 6 ish yard capacity so itwill be more efficient then a 1ton truck

5. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

also with that amount im guessing its around 25 yards so youll probly be getting it delivered? this would drop the cost considerably of rock considerably but for this amound wed probly be bringing in a skid steer so that would raise the price a bit

6. Brown & Co.

Brown & Co. LawnSite Member

(Duration of job) x (Your hourly Rate) + (Materials+150% Markup) + (Your round trip Distance in miles from the shop to the supplies to the jobsite back to the shop x $2.00) = my bid.

7. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

Regardless of size? I work with one of my vendors and they refer all rock jobs to me but my questions are always the same:

1) what size rock
    2) how many tons
    3) where's the rock going
    4) where's the rock getting dumped
    5) what's currently there now

My prices are pretty basic, but I tell the customers my prices start at $75 per ton but go up from there depending on the above questions.

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I work mostly with the decorative stone (river rock)size. That 100 is for the stone and labor only and other prep work is extra. A ton is about 3/4 of a yrd.Stone stays in the dump trailer

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Rock prices vary a lot too.