What to charge for Shed Demo???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by N.TX, Mar 2, 2010.

1. N.TX

N.TX LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

I have a lawn customer that asked if I would be willing to tear down a shed and I have no idea what to charge. If anyone has done this please help give me some numbers if you can.

Size 20 X 15 on concrete foundation.....foundation will stay for a gazebo deal

I was thinking it could be done in 1 day with a total of 2 guys including myself and I was planning on using a bobcat to knock it down then cut it up with a chainsaw and sawzalls. I am guessing dump fees will be around 150-250 bucks.
    I was thinking around $1000-1200 bucks please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance
    http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/hi.gif

2. mnms0562000

mnms0562000 LawnSite Member

Charge by the hour, plus Bobcat rental, and dump fees.

3. N.TX

from TEXAS

Well he just wants firm bid which can be good if it takes less time but I guess as long as I cover my expenses it will be ok....I wont lose and I will learn.

4. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

I could rip that down with me and a couple guys and load it in into the truck in a half day without a bobcat. I think you will definitely make good money if you charge them 1000-1200 and use a bobcat. Do you have a grapple bucket? You would make really good money if you had that. I don't know what they charge to get rid of construction debris around you but I can load my f350 dump with three 2x12's stacked up on top of the actually dump sides(can hold about 7-8 yards) and it costs me right around a hundred bucks. Depends on weight but thats what it is when loading mostly wood. I would assume that if what you are looking at is one story it would take probably 1 to 1 1/2 loads in my dump. Be careful you dont catch any nails with your chainsaws.

5. W.L.M.

W.L.M. LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe look into getting a roll-off dumpster brought in?

6. N.TX

from TEXAS

nepatsfan ...Do you think I should charge less than 1000 then. I dont want to over charge them. I have done lots of interior demo in construction but there have always been a dumpster ect...Dumpster is too expensive to rent for that. I just figure there is going to be several loads which I could haul off and unload on my landscape trailer or rent a dump for 75 bucks a day.
    Heres my guesstimate price breakdown

250 Bucks Dump Fee @ 2 cents pound
    75 Dump Trailer
    150 Bobcat Fee
    600 Labor
    Total $1075

7. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I tore down a shed once. it was made of wood. however no floor.

I used a chainsaw cut it halfway across the walls all way around, then used truck to pull it down onto itself, " man the dust was flying"

this way it gave me access to roof. it loaded up prety well onto the trailer, almost 2 pieces. used the half sides to load on the sides of trailer to give me more room to load.

took it in 2 loads. took me by myself about 1/2 to 3/4 of the day.
    to be honest it wasn't a bad job.

I made it disapear for 750.00 there were NO dumping fees.

Best of luck to you

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

one guy with a mini-x with thumb. Have the dumpster/s placed close enough and you could have it down in hours.

9. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have to worry about turf damage? I just think the skid is going to make a bigger mess. We took a 1 car garage down a couple yrs back. 2 guys 6 hrs and 2 trips to the dump. Done all by hand. Pulled it down and cut into sections and loaded on the trailer.Charged $1285.00. Bill them separate for dump because you will have more there than you think.

James

10. N.TX

from TEXAS

Was the 1285 with the dump fees or before the dump fees. Also the only problem I can see about doing it all by hand is that the roof will be hard to get down and possibly dangerous. I figured it would be safer and easier with a bob cat or a backhoe.