What to charge for shrub trimming?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mamagreg, Jun 11, 2006.

1. mamagreg

mamagreg LawnSite Member

Just wanted some input on how to charge for shrub trimming jobs? Is it mostly by hourly rate or by the amount of shrubs. What price for an hourly rate and what price for individual shrubs?
  2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

What are your $costs to operate per hour?
    Quite simple really, costs X profit margin = price estimated/to be bid.
  3. mamagreg

mamagreg LawnSite Member

I'm just a one man show. Everything that I use (hedge trimmer, rake, etc.) is my personal use and already paid for. I would just be my labor that would cost the customer.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

So long it is of the attractive opposite sex, I'll trim that shrub for free.
    Wax it too :D

See what I mean?
    Since you don't need anyone to pay for your equipment, why bother with labor?
    Since your insurance is already paid for, you won't charge for that, right?
    As for taxes, that's just one payment as well, once that is paid for, no problems there.
    So why not work for free as well, why bother with labor if you're paying for everything else, why not the labor too?

But if it really makes you feel bad to give it away completely, charge around ten bucks / hour.

p.s.: I'm sorry guys, the heat of competition has got me feeling the love.
    p.s.s.: Standard Industry rate for our type of work is $60 / hour. Always charge what you can get away with and don't be afraid to charge more than that even if it means not getting the job, never work for less than the MOST you can get away with quoting, and more never hurt.
  5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just because equipment is paid for does not mean you're only expense is labor.Their are operating costs and eventual replacement costs of the equipment. I am not trying to bash you, just help you to think about the bigger picture of what the real cost of doing business is.
  6. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

What Bill said>. Also for my area I bid out at 25 per man hour. If I have to get on a ladder the price goes up accordingly. That is for my regular customers. If I get suckered into doing a job for a non client I start at 35 an hour. Don't usually tell coustomer what my hourly rate is but that is what I shoot for.
  7. hostingdiva

hostingdiva LawnSite Member
    from Florida

You may want to call your competitors in the area and see what they charge. Then you can have a better grasp on what people are getting in your area.

Also, as everyone else said, while you may have already paid for your equipment, it will not last forever. You need to earn a profit on your work so that you can afford to replace the equipment when the time comes :).
  8. jlohouston

jlohouston LawnSite Member

I have a yard I only trim shrubs.... It takes about an hour... I get 85 each month for the job...
  9. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

I have a yard that is only shrubs. The initial trimming I charged $75 for about an hour's work.

Once a month, I charge $40 for maintenance which takes about 25-30 minutes. I clean up afterwards as well.
  10. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $5 dollars per bush little or big ones unless they are huge but I haven't had one that I charge more than $5 per for yet its a good price most people go for it because it doesnt sound like much, but if you have 20 bushes thats a different story. By the twentieth bush I'm glad I charge this price arms are killing me sometimes I wish I charged more. Hope this helps