What to Charge for this Landscape job?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Mt. Zion Lawn Care, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Mt. Zion Lawn Care

Mt. Zion Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I recently got hired to do a landscape job for a mowing client. He said just charge what you have to charge but get it done before friday. My instructions were to fill flower bed with aprox 16'' of dirt and make it slanted down hill away from the house. So at the house it was 22'' high and the driveway it was 16'' to let the water run and not puddle up and seap into their basement like it was. After that I have to cover with pea gravel and then clean the mess up off the concrete. The flower bed is aprox 5' wide by 15' long. I got the dirt for free off our farm I just had to load it with the tractor, and then haul 9 miles. I will have to pay for the pea gravel and haul it too, but I'm just wondering what I should charge for labor. I was thinking at $35 an hour, It would take 3 hours to do with 2 men so thats $105. Is this a good estimate? Too high or to low?

2. richardcog

richardcog LawnSite Member

It would be to low for me but how much is your time worth to u I would bid by job not by hour

3. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

So your giving away your dirt, the time loading it, free hauling too? And then $35 an hour for 2 men? I'm sure you mean each. Are you having a going out of business sale? Did you figure the volume of material?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

This job would probably be in the 3-600 dollar range for me at least, without seeing the job.

5. jsroda

jsroda LawnSite Member

Not enough, I always double what the cost of the material I am using cost plus gas if you are delivering it. Even though you are getting the dirt for free you still need to charge him for it. So when you write up an invoice it will have:

Dirt: $
    Gravel: $
    Labor/Delivery: which is normally twice what the cost of dirt and gravel is, then I charge $1.25 per mile for delivery.

6. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Two men. One day. Thousand bucks
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin LawnSite Member

No thanks sir ill pass

8. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Id like to hire you as a subcontractor.

9. Mt. Zion Lawn Care

Mt. Zion Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Sounds like I was way off. Glad I did not tell him I would do it for that! Yikes!! Thanks guys for the advice!

10. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing is free, materials are never free. Always charge.

if your overhead is low, maybe 35/hr would work. I wouldnt get out of bed for less then 50/MH. Gotta factor in gas and drivetime, loading and unloading onsite and offsite.

All our materials are marked up 50% from wholesale.

No fabric inbetween materials? would make for a mess in a few years of rain and freeze/thaw up here

105 in labor is way cheap, 3 hours w/ 2 guys sounds close.

Without doing any math, $500 sounds close.

Give ya a hint, we do 1.60/drivetime for our dump, 1.2 with 1 tons