1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to charge for??

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Landlighter, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Landlighter

Landlighter LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you guys out there charged for as far as labor.I give a year free lamp replacement warranty but was wondering if I should charge for labor for these types of things(including timer resets, etc.).Obviously I wouldnt charge for the lamp but what about my time?

Basically what I am asking is do you charge for every trip out or do you include some things in the install price?
  2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

in the first year its included. After that depends on if they are under maint contract or not.... if we installed to original system or just repaired some hack work...Parts are always charged unless its under our 1 year total warranty.

Even under a maint contract lamps are charged out. Unless its something our fault or under the 1 yr warranty on everything they are getting charged for the visit no matter if its via contract or a per call basis. Dont work for free.
  3. Landlighter

Landlighter LawnSite Member

Heres what happened-

I had a transformer go bad so I had to go pull it and go back the next day and replace it.It has been under a year since the install.Is it right to charge for the labor as this is something that should work much longer than it did.

If it had been 3-4 years would you still charge?
  4. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Is it the customers fault that it's no longer working? If not, they shouldn't be penalized for the bad transformer. If the manufacturer is replacing free of charge to you you should replace it free of charge for them. If your manufacturer is not replacing the transformer bight the bullet and seek out a new manufacturer.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

now see it depends... What kinda of warranty do you offer? something like that if under maint contract with me would be no charge labor and the manufacture would buy the trans or repair it.

If your using quality equipment and you got a life time warranty on the trans and your clients declined the maint agreement with you then I think they should pay a very reasonable labor charge to R and R the trans.

I outline all this in my warranty. I provide each and every client we install with a few page documentation of what we used and the warranty for the items and do a quick drawing in MS paint and place red lines where we buried lines. Not only does this help me in the future to trouble shoot but also gives them piece of mind when digging in thier beds. Maybe we are just to darn nice in the south.
  6. Firefly Lighting

Firefly Lighting LawnSite Member

This is a good topic, if you do the annual maintenance on a home and give a 12 month warranty to the lamps, don't you all think that the labor should be charged and the materials free? It isn't right for use to cover the labor and the materials since all lamps are not created equal. Does any one else know of a service type business that does not charge for at least the labor?
  7. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

does anyone know of a bulb manufacturer that warrants bulbs? So why should I warrant them I don't manufacture them. Too many ways for the bulb to go bad prematurely. switching system stays on 24/7 and the customer doesn't realize until most lamps are dead. gardener kicks fixtures like a soccer ball and knocks fialment loose. water being blasted at the fixture from all ungodly angles.I'm in business to make a profit. not to look like mr. niceguy when a bulb fails and have to eat it.
  8. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

If it's an issue within the first year, we don't charge labor.....unless it's something that happened beond our control (cut wire, etc). With the maint. contracts, our labor is included in the price that we give them.

Most customers are going to expect a labor charge for something like this. If a bulb fails within that year, I'm not going to charge labor to come out and replace it though. If the maint. contracts warranty the bulbs for 1 year, then no labor should be charged to change out a bulb if it fails. Our labor charge is $80/hr with a one hour minimum....I can't very well charge my customer $80 to change out a bulb that's under warranty.
  9. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

I do like Dave here. I cover all parts, including light bulbs for three years though. This means that for the first three years, the system is under my maintenance plan. I check the system twice a year to reset the timers and check all lamps, clean all lenses, you know, give it a good once over. I replace any burned out lamps at that time. If any lamps burn out between visits, I will come out and replace them at no charge as well. After three years, I sign them up for my maintenance plan. The plan is for one year and is paid in advance. This covers all parts and labor for the year. The only time my clients get a bill other than these times is when they need to add fixtures or someone causes a problem in the system, like a cut line. Then I charge $75 hr for labor, per man.
  10. desert night light

desert night light LawnSite Member
    from AZ

just so I'm clear, you are saying that you unconditionally guarantee (excluding cut cables) labor and materials for three yrs. time. Then you offer a yr by yr. maintenance plan which you collect money for. Correct?