1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What To Charge Per. Acre.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by anj, Jan 10, 2006.

1. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Want To Bid On A Project That Has The Amount Of Acres List For Each Site. Is There A Way To Make A Bid Based On The Acres Each Site Has?
  2. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

To mow? or seed? or what?
  3. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

If it is mowing I take the original lot size including house and drive and charge 40 bucks per acre based on that. Take out the house and drive and you end up with alot less turf, and more profit.
  4. anj

anj LawnSite Member

The Job Consist Of Mowing Edging And All The Other Normal Maintenance. Should I Charge Based On The Amount Of Hours It Will Take?
  5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

never let the owner know your hourly rate! What set-up are you running? I charge $50.00 an hour for mowing, I'm able to knock out 4 acre in just under an hour.
  6. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

How many acres is it?
  7. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

(1)I think you are asking for a way to word the contract showing your bid as $ per acre?

(2)Or perhaps you are asking if there is a way to bid the job per acre.

In any event, you want to decide how long it will take you to do the job and multiply that by how much you want to make per hour. Then add all of your costs to that to come up with a total bid price.

(1)Then if you want to propose your bid as a per acre bid, take the total bid price and divide by the number of acres and present the bid as such.

(2) After bidding many jobs, you could look back to see what you charged on average per acre in the past and make this you "standard" fee per acre. The potential problem here is that some jobs will be more difficult (drainage ponds and other steep hills, etc.) and you will end up making less than you wanted to per hour. Some might argue that it would even out because some jobs will be easier (flat out open areas). I prefer to bid per job but I am a small company with time to go to each site and bid.

Lawn care innovations: What part of the contry are you in? Do you bid $50/hr plus costs or just $50/hr.
  8. anj

anj LawnSite Member

This Project Consist Of About 80 Properties Ranging From 1-40 Acres. I Am Located In Metro Atlanta, And I Do Not Want To Go In To High. I Thought I Could Figure My Cost/hr Plus To Employees At 10/hr X The Acres.
    60 Exmark Z
    36 Exmark Turf Tracer
    21 Exmark Metro
    550 Sthil Backpack
    340 Sthil Backpack
    2 Sthil Stick Edgers
    1 Sthil Pole Trimmer
    1 Sthil Hedge Trimer
  9. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

you will need a larger mower if many of the properties are 40 acres.
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Do you know your cost? Do you know how many hours each will take? Do you pay your employee's $10/hr or is that your total cost per hour for an employee?

If the equipment posted is all you have then your not equip for this client. I'm not either so I'm not bashing you.