what to charge per inch of caliper ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Steve B., Jan 29, 2005.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. LawnSite Member

A local landscape/nursery wants to purchase some willow oaks (4-8") and southern mags.(4-6") that are in my mother's back field. They would be doing all the digging and labor and they would be transporting them to a nearby golfcourse. They are offering her $25.00/inch for both the willows and magnolias. Is this a fairly reasonable price ?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve

That price is way below Wholesale Willow Oaks Or Quercus phellos are at least $ 50 per caliber inch. They would pay about $ 225 to $ 250 for a 4" caliber Tree. Magnolia grandiflor trees have many different varieties. Depending on which one the price may be less or more.

3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

That all depends on how bad she wants to keep them. If she is planning on planting some other trees where these are dug then figure what trees she wants to plant and then add that to the 25 per inch.
    I think ric is right on the at least 50 per inch but if she does not want the trees or has thought of re-landscaping that area differently she might come out ahead by not having to do the work or have some one else to do it for her.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Ric also. I think $25.00 is too low.Also, make sure she gets a contract and it states in clear, exact terms what they are going to do , and what they are going to do after digging the trees. Are they going to fill in the holes and clean up the mess? Or are you? Make sure to have all the bases covered........