what to charge per inch of caliper ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Steve B., Jan 29, 2005.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. LawnSite Member

Recently, a local landscape/nursery has expressed interest in buying some willow oaks (4-8") and southern magnolias (4-6") in my mother's back field. They would be doing all of the digging and labor. They would transport the trees to a nearby golfcourse. They have offered $25.00/inch for both variety of trees. Is this a pretty fair and reasonable price?

2. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

For the willow oaks it seems ok but i would try to squezze them for more. If they want them really bad they will buy them. It will be very hard to buy them some where else for that price.

3. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i would double it to how bad they want the trees. if they want them bad enough they will pay whatever you want for them. remeber they will be using them in someone elses yard and be making a profit off of them. not to mention this is your competition wanting your (moms) trees. make it worth it.

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

The trees add property value to your mom's lot.
    Have the lot appraised to discover the real value,or you could get a Certified Arborist who does appraisals on trees to give you a value.
    This value is based upon replacement cost.

Examples of value:

The Southern Magnolia which is 4-6" caliper
    They are sold in my area by the height not the inch caliper.
    Example:
    A tree that is about 8'-10'' tall sells for 240.00
    That tree installed would be at 1200.00.
    That would be your replacement value.

The Willow Oak at 4-8" - Lets say 6"
    This tree wholesale would cost 480.00 wholesale
    The tree installed would be at 1200.00

They offer 25.00 per inch you get 150.00 for a 6"

:rolleyes:

These values may vary based upon equipment needed and warrenty desired.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a unique opportunity for you to sell these, if indeed you don't want them. There is no way you can buy them for what they want to pay, but part of that cost is taking them from the field to where they are to be installed.

The real market value of buying these trees from you is supply & demand and cost to move them. If you are the only willing seller of these within a reasonable distance to the golf course they are worth more than if all your neighbors have them and don't care if they are sold. In the end, you can ask whatever you want, but you might not sell any.

Make damn sure that you have a contract that will include them repairing any and all damages to the property and that the holes be filled with good topsoil. It would suck to get paid $4,000 and be left $6,000 in repairs to your property.

6. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

For park grade trees that may be ok, be better at close to $50. If they are grade 'a' trees, you better be getting something in the $100-150 per inch range and they need to bring back in a core fill for the missing soil. That is pretty much standard here and the same goes in TN through OH, IN, KY, IA

7. shadybz

shadybz LawnSite Member

I would have to agree. I regularly buy trees in ground and and move them to job sites with truck mounted tree spades. How much money you can get for them depends on the quality of the trees. I pay $25-45 for park grade trees and up to $150 per inch for specimen trees. If I were you I would use these trees for yourself on job sites and just hire a tree mover to transplant them. You will be way more money ahead.