What to charge per lawn?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lot0210, Jul 26, 2008.

1. lot0210

lot0210 LawnSite Member

I know there is probably a thread already on here about this but I feel lazy today. How do I charge for mowing lawns? Is it per hour with a min of 1hr and that rate includes gas and labor plus a portion of maintenance cost per/hr?
    Then how do you estimate the cost for big commercial parks per/yr ?
    then there are other things like aeration and dethaching ?

This is the only part of this biz i do not understand plz help/
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Are you being serious? Are you really asking this, or are you making fun of people asking silly questions?
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When ever you price a job you have to price it to cover your costs and still make a profit. Each lawn is different, you need to determine how much fuel you will use, factor in the wear on the equipment, insurance, and any other expense you may have. When looking at the property you should have some idea as to how long it will take you, so then you can factor in the labor costs. Your first few estimates may not be as accurate as you think but you will get better at it as you go. Some lco's have a minimum charge like $35. So you should figure out the minimum you have to make on each lawn to cover your costs.
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Read,read And More Read...... All The Answers Are In This Forum.
  5. lot0210

lot0210 LawnSite Member

I know it sounds like a joke and people like you is why I almost did not post this.
    I know it is a stupidish question but I genuinely do not know that is why I ask.
    Sorry if my quest for answers is a joke. I also ask this so I don't become a much despised "Low Baller"
  6. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

For an estimate say what you think is fair, and will still make you money. Go by the size, obstacles, GRASS QUALITY, etc.
  7. bone1

bone1 LawnSite Member
    from ga

yeah, if you don't know you got to ask. read mowerbrad's post. that's good info for you! good luck!