what to charge per yard

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by edgeman2003, Apr 13, 2008.

1. edgeman2003

edgeman2003 LawnSite Member
    from md

i'm in maryland, wonder the going rate per yard,hr, or size?
    I was thinking a $35 minimum no matter how small size the yard.Is that to low of a price? Then higher for bigger yards.

2. capetan

capetan LawnSite Member

35 sounds good

3. edgeman2003

from md

what if they want the yard cut weekly or bi- weekly, do I charge the same amount per cut , or a discount if they get it cut weekly or bi- weekly?

4. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey edge, personally i stay away from the "by-weekly" customers... tends to turn into i'll call you when it needs to be done and/or i've got a big party tommorrow and need the lawn done now.

setting a minimum is a must and you need to determine a formula which works for YOU. i'm not making money unless i charge 1$ per minute on the lawn... 1 hour of cutting = at least $60.

good luck with the new machine. have a good one.

5. edgeman2003

from md

so would I set up a contract for once a week cuts for a few months? or per month basis?

6. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I usually get around $1/minute maybe a little less.

7. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Set yourself up for once a week cuts for the remainder of the mowing season, and leave yourself an out in the contract. Something along the lines of "If it rains heavily or we experience extended dry periods, we may mow more or less than usual." That way when the end of the season comes along, and you estimated 30 cuts, you aren't sitting there owning someone a cut or 2 if you didn't cut due to drought, or extended periods of heavy rain where you were unable to get out and mow.

8. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Our min is $140.00/mo based on 6 mo May-Oct. 24 cuts max. $35.00/cut over 24

9. bruno_rs

bruno_rs LawnSite Member

hey edge, sorry... i forgot about this thread, didn't see your follow up question. been doing this a while and found monthly contracts RARELY work out in MY favor.

i do mostly residential and have a verbal agreement and/or understanding with ALL my customers re cutting more and/or less than every 7 days. in the spring i will be out sometimes every 4-5 days... therefore, i'd be hurting myself with a contract. i have always worked without a written contract ( re lawn maintenance ONLY)... never felt the need to generate more paperwork for myself.

billing new (unproven) customers is done by-weekly... many times, i will inform new customers that i will need payment each time i cut their lawn. once a customer is "proven", i bill them monthly. hope this helps. good luck. have a good one.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

usually a little bit of a discount if weekly, because you'll have more steady revenue !!