What to charge to remove a tree $$ ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jccordes2, Oct 26, 2004.

1. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

I have a customer wanting a tree removed. I have removed many of my own on my lot, but haven't really quoted it out. they do want the whole tree taken away.

what's a good price reange to work with??

thanks

Jeff

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I do a lot of tree removal work. I would suggest you do the following: 1) Make sure there are not any above ground wires (phone, cable, power, etc) anywhere near the tree 2) Figure out what how you are going to dispose of the tree and material…are you going to have to pay a dumping fee? 3) Do they want the stump ground down…do you need to rent a stump grinder? 4) Do you have the proper equipment, training and INSURANCE to do this kind of work? 5) The hardest part when first starting out doing this…how long do I estimate this job to take? Once you know all of the above and know what you need to make per hour to make a living then give them a quote.

Gravely_Man

3. jccordes2

jccordes2 LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply, the tree is not near any wires, the stump would not need to be removed. I have access to a Vermeer wood chipper.
    I am just looking for a ball park $ ?
    I was thinking like $325 ?
    again I don't what the market bares??

4. DALMlawn&landscaping

DALMlawn&landscaping LawnSite Member
    from TX

sounds high, its unbelievable how fast two guys can take down a tree, i can take down a 20 year old pecan, by my self, in three, maybe four cuts, 325 for that? on the other hand, if its like a big hackberry growing above a childs playset, then you have to rope down branches and stuff like that. oh, i just saw your in minnesota, two different worlds when it comes to trees... so, can't help you on prices unless you are removing a tree in texas, or some other southern tree

5. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

How big is the tree?

Do you have a chipper?

Are there landfill fees?

Many factors to consider.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like something that you have never done commerically. Do you have Insurance for tree removal as there is a ton of liability involved in tree work. Sounds to me like you might want to sub it out to a licensed and insured tree service and make a few bucks for doing nothing really.

8. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

Insurance is a must!!! Is the ground soft, you can do a lot of damage with your equipment. Do you need a crane. Your price sounds very,very cheap to me. I just finished one and charged $2,200.00.
    These are jobs that need to be done by pros. If you don't have any experience, it's probably better to sub it out and work with the sub-contractor in order to gain experience.

9. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Another thing you may want to consider is how about fire wood? Maybe you could use it as firewood or know of someone that you could sell it to as firewood. That way you get paid to take the tree down, and you get paid to sell it to.
    And as the above guys had mentioned, you may want to consider subcontracting this job out to someone if it is more than you can handle. A man has to know his limitations, afterall. Find yourself an arborist to work with, and you can work in a fee to have the arborist take the tree down for you. And on top of that, you can talk to the guy and see if he'll give ya a price break if you send all your tree work his way.

Just my .02

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you don't know what you're doing, YOU CAN KILL YOURSELF!!!