What To Charge, What To Do??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dasservicesinc, Aug 30, 2006.

1. dasservicesinc

dasservicesinc LawnSite Member

I'm from the New Orleans area. My business before hurricane katrina was construction (heavy equipment, bobcats, excavator), so needless to say that business has tripled since the storm. Anyway, one of my operators suggested to me that I purchase some lawn equipment and get a grass cutting crew. I spent alot of money on equipment and was a little nervous. Well, since march I now have two crews servicing over 170 accounts. Alot of what we are doing is "first cuts" which is property clean up where the grass has not been cut since the storm, and then maintain from there.

Question #1- what do major chains such as Walgreens expect to pay per month for maintenance?

Question #2- What would you do to get a piece of commercial property up to par where the property has not been cut in over a year? I have a DR brush cutter to knock down the five foot high grass and weeds, but what would you do from there to get the place looking good. Rake, go over with a finish mower....??? Keep in mind these properties have not been cut in over a year. It's no problem knocking it down, but how do we get it looking good. I'm looking time saving methods that work. Also what should I charge for this initial cut and clean? Thanks!

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just as little a possible.......esp since all newer Walgreens use the same building plans which call for only a couple strips of grass areas

3. JG Landscaping

JG Landscaping LawnSite Member

if you could put up a couple pictures of any particular properties that you plan to bid on im sure people could halp you a lot more and give more info for you!