what to charge?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Steeley, May 25, 2005.

1. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I need to make a estimate for a job to spread 28 yards of loam with a bobcat skid steer, where im going to have the loam dumped is very close to the area that I will be working, wodering what to charge, the loam is going to cost me $600 an d the bobcat to rent will be $300 for the day I also need to put grass seed down, any help would be great.

2. Lawnboys02

Lawnboys02 LawnSite Member

$ 3300 thats how much.

3. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

put grass seed down. now that is a funny term. empty the bag on the ground, or broadcast it or hydroseed it or ????
    have you run a skid steer? will this be lawn, or?????
    lots of obstacles in the way?
    someone good on a good sized skid steer could do this in a day. I could do it in two. When i started it would have taken me 4.

4. Steeley

Steeley LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Yes I would brodcast the seed with a spreader and I do have experience with a skid steer, I was thinking I could do it in a day.

5. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

Hi Steeley,

Have you considered subcontracting to somebody that does this thing called "Terra seeding"? It is available in my area but I have never used it. It looks like a really efficient to get a job such as you describe done. Anybody used this service? Comments on quality, price, etc. apprectiated.

6. sidebuz

sidebuz LawnSite Member

Here is an idea.. figure your cost and add your profit margin...then you have you estimate for the customer. Then ask yourself, is this price out of line with the competition. If not, give it to the customer. If they scream "thief", walk away.

By asking us on this website, you are going to get a wide range of prices. All of them respectable for their market. But with east cost prices 33% more (or even higher than that...just a guess) than prices here in the midwest, you will get responses like: "That is too cheap.... your a scrub..." or "that is way too expensive..." You get my point. You need to do what is best for YOU.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

33% more here??? ok then

8. DowntoEarthLLC

DowntoEarthLLC LawnSite Member
    from VA

1 million dollars

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

BE PREPARED TO BE PUMMELED...... THESE GUYS DONT CARE ABOUT COSTS THEY WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE COMPETITION WOULD CHARGE SO THEY CAN TAKE THE JOB AND HAVE NO IDEA IF THEY ARE MAKING OR LOSING MONEY

10. drmiller100

drmiller100 LawnSite Senior Member

ask the customer what they want to pay.
    it is REALLY surprising what you learn.
    You are sitting there with no idea, but it looks BIG. You ask them what they want to pay.
    500 bucks. Ummm, for 500 bucks i can run around on teh skid steer and level it, but you will need sprinklers, sod or seed, bleah bleah bleah.
    "well i only have 500 bucks." "Golly, give me a call if you find more money."

on the flip side, sometimes they say "we want to keep it under 20k."

Gosh, we can do a NICE job of htis for under 20k! Let me tell you how cool this is gonna be!!!!

i think a surprising number of bids are lost due to being too low.