1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to charge?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jafcook, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jafcook

jafcook LawnSite Member

My question is what would you charge your next door neighbor? Mow, trim, edge, blow 25 min tops (one person), property borders mine so can be mowed same time as mine. Do you still charge min price or give a discount price?
  2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone would tell you to charge what you charge everyone else....but I think you should give them a discount rate for two reasons. First, like you said, he is right there...no problem and probably more motivation for you to mow your own lawn. Second, a happy neighbor is a good neighbor. If it costs me $5-10 extra dollars to have the neighbor really really like me, it is worth it in the end. Who knows, you might need to borrow some flour one day.
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with you. I would give him a small discount.:waving:
  4. Stuckwithit

Stuckwithit LawnSite Member

I wouldn't do it...I never do work for friend sor family...you never end up charging them what you should, and if you do you feel guillty..so i say just don't do it...that is what i have learned.
  5. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

To me, it's just harder to quote a good price. I don't rip myself off but I don't ask as much as I would and it takes me longer to think up the price.. As a matter of fact, I just starting doing my GF's parents house for $30 a week, pkus pulling up about 10-14 small bushes for $10 a bush. Which is all "fair" prices, but I'd charge anyone else $35 for the yard and $15 a bush.

But on another case for a family friend, with like 1/8 an acre, I quoted $25, she said "no way, I'll pay your $40 cause that's what other people charge." I was like.... Uhh ;) Ok! :cool2: :)
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I see in your profile that you say you've been in biz for one year. I'm sure you don't have a full schedule at this point, and could probably use another account. Personally though, I don't think it's a good idea to work for a next door neighbor. Anything can happen down the road, a disagreement may evolve, and then you are still stuck living next to him. We do work for people in our neighborhood, like a few blocks away from us, but never working for the next door neighbors. no way.

HDALLC LawnSite Member

Id Do it Because you never know how much more business your neighbor could get you, So for potential new customers id take a $5-$10 hit to make some new customers
  8. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

I gave a neighbor a break, and then i had another one ask and another now im doing an hour of work for a half hours pay before my own lawn..., but i guess it would be ok if u didn't have that many accts. I'm at the point now where i turn the corner for my street i only want to have my own lawn left for the day not everyone elses!
  9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i do my neighbor's yard behind my fence and another neighbor one house over. as far as pricing, i take $5.00 off of my normal price since there is no travel involved. i can honestly say i'm giving them a break and i always do a professional job. i have had these two for three years now, and they have been nothing but pleasure. i can do them and my yard on a sunday afternoon in about 2 hours. for me it's nice to have something to do on sunday because i'm the type of person who can't stand being idle but still want to spend time with my kids. i just slip out after dinner and knock them out.