what to charge ...............

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by maxkicker, Nov 21, 2006.

1. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

i worked on a lcos toro z this week his hydro pump got dirt in it and was leaking from the seal so i had to replace the seal $5.00 remove/replace the pump and clean the reservoir/lines took me about 2hrs

i still have the tractor thinkin about cleaning the other hydro pump also just incase its has a little dirt in it to

question is i dont usually do this kinda work for pay and dont know what a fair price would be i was thinkin about $350 is that about right?
    ohh i also drove to his house to pickup the mower like 20mi oneway

2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Charge by the hour of what a local auto shop would(75-90.00) around here. Sounds like you have about 3 hours total including driving. I would say $350.00 is high. 270 labor + parts. IMO

3. maxkicker

maxkicker LawnSite Member

thanks id hate to have raped the guy

4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If he's happy and yur happy, then its a good deal.
    Keep in mind, if he balks, but pays anyway, then you have married this thing. Any problem, even remotely assosiated with the hydro or drive system will become your problem! Welcome to my world!

5. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

3hrs x $40/hr = 120 smackers + parts ---- couldn't be more than an O ring and a quart of hydro fluid, huh

Seriously --- I have a Internation Super A --- hydrolics wouldn't lift I ring a mechanic buddy --- he comes over --- snaps out the old O ring --- snaps a new one in ---- worked like a charm

We went in the house --- had coffee and cake --- he was smilin' like a Mule eatin' briars!!!

Some you charge for, sure ---- but there's some buddies out there who --- deserve your "freebies" Know what I mean, Vern?? Huh, Vern??!! Believe me, it'll come back to ya ---- God's word says in Ecclesiastes 11:1, "Cast your bread upon the water, and after many days it will return back to you" Jesus said in addition to the same subject --- "Good measure, pressed down, shaken together shall it be measured back to you!"

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Gotta agree with the doc here, I use to do jobs here at home and charged the same labor as where I work. But I stopped because it's not worth the nit pickin that was going on.

7. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I put a new clutch in a VW bus one time and the customer came back about 2 days later and started yelling. I saw him coming from the lot walking fast and cussing. He said you burnt my dome lite out. I said I don't see how installing a clutch could do that. I said I can't believe you acting like this. I gave him a bulb and he was happy and walked off. Good thing that was 25 years ago because now days I guess I would be shot dead for such an act.