What to charge??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by qcontrol23, Jun 6, 2008.

1. qcontrol23

qcontrol23 LawnSite Member

I live in Missouri and am about to open a lawn care business but what rates should i charge to cut, edge, and trim someones lawn? Do you guys have prices for say a quarter acre, half acre, acre, acre and a half, 2 acres and so forth and if so what do you charge for each?
  2. Green King TLC

Green King TLC LawnSite Member

I was told to charge $1.00 per minute.:usflag:
  3. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

$1.00 per minute doesnt work because not everyone has 60+" decks on there riders.....
    I charge by the size and a little based on time it takes me. I have a $30.00 minimum which is for very tiny yards close to other profitable accounts. I usually charge $35.00 for a 1/4 acre, $35-40 for a 1/2 acre, $50 for 3/4 acre and $60.00 an acre. I never take prices off of that because of minimal trimming, but I will tack on more if trimming is more time consuming.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it's NOT Charge 1.00 a minute.... ITS keep your time around 1.00 a minute.

there is a LARGE diffrence there guys

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

$20-30 is the going rate around the city
  6. qcontrol23

qcontrol23 LawnSite Member

$20- $30 for what size of yard??
  7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

No way! If that is all you get, why the heck are you in this business? I average $105 - $120 per hour cutting grass (including drive time). With a minimum of $35 and hardly nobody gets that price these days.
    GUYS....you HAVE to RAISE your prices!!!!!! DO NOT BE SCARED!!!!!!!!! The price of everything is going up. Your prices should be too. If you are only getting $20 per yard, you are NOT making money.
  8. bill9009

bill9009 LawnSite Member

$40 per 1/4, 55 1/2 70 1 acre, upstate NY, probably still on the low side though
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Look it's easy, just bid $5,000,000 on every single job no matter what.
    Then all you need is one to say yes, do the work, get paid, and you can retire.

Now I don't know whether you'll get anyone TO say yes, but...
  10. Green King TLC

Green King TLC LawnSite Member

$1.00 per minute is while your on the job working. you still have you drive time and fuel and the other crap thats involved.