1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to consider when buying blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robby, Mar 19, 2006.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy some extra blades for my newer Exmark mower. I've searched at 4 different places that sell them. The dealership is considerably more expensive, with the online sites being much cheaper priced. What are some of the things I should consider when choosing where to buy from and exactly which blade? I've noticed that the thickness of the blades varies, but what are the pros and cons of thicker or thinner blades? Also, what kind of cutting difference will you get between the types of blades, such as the gator mulcher or wave mulcher, or just the standard blade that came with the mower? I cut mostly fescue and have been pretty satisfied so far with the blades that came with the mower. Any suggestions?
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Don't buy cheap blades they get dull quicker, warp faster, andbend easier.

I prefer Oregon Gators on my Exmark Lazer
  3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get yourself some Oregon "Fusion" blades. They'll last forever and stay sharp longer.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I think the softer (and cheaper) blades work well - as a matter of fact, I like them better. Yes, they CAN dull faster, but that doesn't matter. If you keep your blades changed daily, it has no effect. Asd a matter of fact, they are probably easier to sharpen. We carry extra set with us in the trailer, AND a new set goes on about everyday. As far as warping, I've never experienced that. The bending? If this is possible, but if hit anything that hard enough, it would about bend anything. Now, about the thickness...This in particular IS different, because these blades ARE heavier. I'm not sure what size deck you are running, but if you're running a 50 or 60" deck, I strongly suggest the Dixie Chopper style blades. These blades have a much longer bevel and helps the blade turn significantly.
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell us the name(s) of these "cheap" blades that get dull quicker, warp faster, andbend easier???
  6. robby

robby LawnSite Member

The blades i'm looking for are for a 48" turf tracer. I checked out the oregon website and saw a variety of choices there. The prices weren't that much more than elsewhere. The local dealer wants $15.50 per blade. Websites like Landscaper Pro and Motownusa have blades for less than $10. So is the dealer here selling blades that are 50% better, or more likely is that he simply has more markup on his stuff? Im still trying to figure out how important the blade thickness is. I'm seeing blades between .15" to .25" thick. How likely am I to get a better quality blade if I just go for the more expensive ones?
  7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

eBay seller 'sel_lo' sells blades for a good price. Email him and ask if he sells your brand. I just bought 6 blades and it came out to LESS then $10/blade including shipping. Good blades. Same weight as the dealer blades. Same in every way.:usflag:
  8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

my dealer sells blades for any mower 48" and up for 20.00 per set of 3 .