What to do about a potential customer 26 miles away?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tsh1773, May 1, 2006.

1. tsh1773

tsh1773 LawnSite Senior Member

All of my 20 accounts (part timer) are within a 5 mile radius. Got a call today from a guy who lives 26 miles away, wants a quote to do a .5 acre yard. Should I charge him roundtrip mileage (say 50 cents per mile) extra or just tell him it's out of my range.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on if you want to do a .5 yard thats a 46 mile round trip for you.This question should answer itself.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No brainer...move on.

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

move on!! If you average 10-12mpg it doesnt take much to do the math.

5. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

You could fit in a whole other job in the travel time.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Pass on this one...easily over $10 alone in gas for the trip, plus all the time, plus...just too darn far away.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only way I go out of my area is for larger projects, he'd need at least 240 dollars worth of work for me to consider it.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The only way to make that profitable is to have a contract for full service work. You know spring clean, fert and weed control, mow, landscape maint. fall clean. The best thing then is that a few of this guys neighbors want you to work for them too. Don't completely discount the offer as you may be able to make a few stops in that area and spend a day making money. If it is an untapped market you could do well. But if its just for one .5 acre mow I'd politely explain and then pass. Good Luck.

9. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

It depends, Is there potential to pick up more customers in this community? I have a community that i work in once a week that is 22 miles away. But when i go there, i do 14 lawns. All small yards paying good money. So it is worth it to me.
    If you don't have much work, take it. Flood the area with flyers. See if you get any hits. If not, tell the guy you will have to discontinue services.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

26 miles each way @ 13 miles per gallon, thats 4 gallons each cut, just driving, @ 25 cuts per year, 100 gallons of gas @ 3.00 per gallon. so right out of the box its gonna cost you $300 bucks to service the account.