What to do about a very bumpy lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JeffNY, May 30, 2010.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

I actually have 2 lawns that I do that are so bumpy, that I actually come off my seat several times while mowing. I know, of course I can go 2 mph, but I can't afford to do that, and really, it doesn't make it much better.
    They both were obviously 'finished' without top soil, just that fill crap they have around a construction site, they somewhat level it, and seed it.
    Neither are little accounts, one is my biggest paying account (its an addition they just put on thats bumpy), the other is a new one this year, couple acres, and I would tell them I just can't do it, but the lady that runs the place, that hired me, I do her house, so I don't want to piss her off.
    Both places have rocks that come up to the surface, I've hit several at both places, ive gone through 2 sets of blades at the one place, and ive mowed it twice.

Is there anything I can do or suggest to them to make this situation better? I know a nice layer of top soil will fix it, but your talkin tractor trailer loads of top soil, no ones paying for that.

What do you do in a case like this? Quit? go slow and spend 2 hours on a 1 hour lawn?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Best I can tell you is try going in different directions, sometimes that helps.

3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

eather get off and walk or find another customer and let the lowballers have that one. I did find that a longer wheel base helped ease the pain.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

How about enough topsoil to help, I figure 1 yard per 300sq ft. that'll cover you 1" deep. Get a harley rake and till/level the whole damned thing, add top soil, till it in and seed, seed, seed and water.

5. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

I'll mention it to them, im sure they won't go for it. Im calling tmr to tell them their yard is unfit for my machines.

6. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

take care of my mother-in-laws lawn. front yard is small and not to bad, but the back is about .75 acres, bumpy as crap. have got to double cut. plus it is a corner lot so it has to look good front and side.

7. Lawn by Deere

Lawn by Deere LawnSite Member

Cultipacker when the ground is semi-soft

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Topdressing works. Or you can till it up, add topsoil, and reseed it.

9. Lawn by Deere

Lawn by Deere LawnSite Member

I've got one that needs one of these on it

[​IMG]

10. CowboysLawnCare

CowboysLawnCare LawnSite Member

Haha, talk about a heavy duty striping kit ^^^. I am about to invest in a suspension seat for my next lazer. I jars my brains loose most of the time and makes my back start hurting.