what to do about annual rye...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, May 9, 2006.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Michigan, we have mostly kentucky blue and rye grass.... I don't claim to know alot about grass, outside of cutting it, but I have a few customers with some really ugly annual rye popping up in their yards. They are all complaining about it and telling me it was never there last year... (how'd it get there?)

I consulted my fert guys who I sub the work out to, and they tell me there is nothing that can be done about it, annual rye cannot be killed short of killing it and starting over.

Also, is there an easy way to tell rye from kentucky blue aside from color?

Can someone please give me an education...

2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Annual rye will not survive in a good turf. KBG, fescue and perennial rye will squeeze it out.

Are you sure it's annual rye?

Check this site out, it has some great turf info and pics.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tool/index.html

Good luck,

kc

3. sailinstud420

heres a pic for you...

DSCN3802.JPG

4. sailinstud420

90% sure it is annual rye, its looks like wheat...

DSCN3804.JPG

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Some of that towards the back looks awfully wide. But if it isn't, it is still growing fastewr than al the rest. Use a wick or a sponge a couple of days after it's cut.

6. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

a wick or a sponge????? i don't understand what you mean.

7. sailinstud420

i dont either, i am guessing he is suggesting soaking it in roundup, killing the spot and replanting???

I am curious as to how this wasn't a problem last year, and it is now? I can understand a few seedlings made it into the yard, but not that many spots..

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. It is an old technique that can in many cases show favorable results. Performed a couple of weeks apart in succession, many of times, you don't have to reseed. If you were going to just reseed, there would be no reason for the wick - you could just spray it. We have done this for years with tall fescue, and have had great success.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

That's not Annual Rye, it's Poa Annua. If none of your local guys recognize it then they all need to do some studying of the local grasses.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=POAN

The only truely effective control of Poa is ethofumesate (Prograss). Any pre-emergent will be helpful but it must be applied in the Fall and then again in the Spring to be effective. I recommend you speak to some local golf course maintenance personel to get the specifics on application timing in your area.

You are also required by law (in all 50 states) to apply chemicals to any lawn for hire.

There's your education.