1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do about Gas Prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gumby1, May 19, 2004.

1. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

I am considering sending a note along with my next billing that reads something like:

Do to the high gas prices, a 2% surcharge will be added to your bill. Our pricing is based on gas prices around $1.50 a gallon. We will only be charging the surcharge when gas prices are over $2.00 a gallon.

Do you think this is a good or bad idea?
  2. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

My clients probably wouldn't mind it, but I dont think my clients ever read the invoice anyway
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I' m going to sell my gas powered mowers and get electric ones.:laugh:
  4. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

So if gas dropped back to 1.00 a gallon would you give them a refund? I am complexed about the gas surcharge. How much does it effect your profit margin?
  5. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

Fuel Tax Credit. Fuel that a business uses for off-highway equipment or machinery is entitled to
    a fuel tax credit. For example, if a landscaping company purchases fuel to power its lawnmowers
    or other equipment, the company is entitled to a credit.
    Its about .48 between state & federal taxes.
  6. gumby1

gumby1 LawnSite Member

To gr8cutter: when your average gas bill is about $1000 a month, the $.60 a gallon (what we are currently paying over the $1.50 a gallon) comes out to be about $400. And to answer your first question the answer is NO, if you read my first post I said if the gas went over $2.00 a gallon. You see I have eaten the cost of the majority of the increase. So to answer your next question (if it was a question or you just being a smartie!!!!) yes i would consider lowering in some way the price if the gas went below a $1 a gallon.