What to do about grass growing on concrete?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Colin C, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Colin C

Colin C LawnSite Member

So, I have a commercial client that I just picked up from a friend who's getting out of lawn care. Their lot by the warehouse has no curb and grass grows onto the concrete quite a few inches in some places. What is considered to be the correct way to handle this? Stick edge it hard once and keep it maintained?

He has just mowed over it and trimmed a little up until now.

2. ncpete

ncpete LawnSite Senior Member

edge and spray?

3. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Use a new edger blade. Then just spray I assume. Personally I hate roundup and the like. I'm not some liberal hippy quite the opposite, but i just use white Vinegar at my house. Lol. ;)

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stick edge it and use a shovel to remove the excess dirt and grass.

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't use steel tools, you're likely to damage the concrete worse and then you'll really have a problem, I would probably stay away from the string trimmer too, all that is going to do is spray pebbles everywhere. More than likely you're just going to have to spray about once a month, that is why it's called weed 'control,' we don't eliminate them once and for all, we merely 'control' them... I suppose the good news is it keeps us in business.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Edge it, blow it onto lawn and mulch it up.

7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

If the soil is flowing over the walk too, it might be best to go along with a spade and cut a new edge, scraping up the layer. It kind of depends on the edger you have-how stout it is in comparison to how severe the overgrowth is, and of course the length of the edge in need of cleanup.

8. Colin C

Colin C LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies! Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched and couldn't find it. There's is definitely soil flowing over too. I may just have to start a new edge and maintain. I only cut this place "as needed", which in August in Texas is twice a month tops. Being that I'm the "new guy", I just want to make sure I take care of it correctly. Never had to do a property without defined curbs and edges. Thanks again, guys

9. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

What does your price include?

It should of included Trim/edge, mow, blow, go.

So if providing standard basic service you should be edging it.

Now when taking over a property and the edges were let go long enough to get that bad you should of told the customer that due to the extra time involved to shape up the property the first mowing charge will be the regular price plus this one time extra charge.

What to do now? You can bring the edge back free on one shot.

You can keep on doing what the last LCO did. Seems the property owner did not mind the lack of edging.

You can slowly work the edge back a little bit each time you mow with a line trimmer.

10. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Seriously?