1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do about irrigation heads when aerating?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LTDLawnCare, Sep 11, 2007.

1. LTDLawnCare

LTDLawnCare LawnSite Member

This may sound stupid to most of you but I was wondering if the irrigation heads were damaged at all during aerating.Also if there was a shallow pipe in the yard if that would be punctured or if there were ways around it. Thank you in advance for any responses. -Ryan
  2. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Turn the zones on "test" and run for 2-3 minutes. Walk outside and mark with flags, paint, etc. We just use our pesticide markers. Its really very simple.
  4. Indatreez

Indatreez LawnSite Member

my local homedepot sells flags..so walk and find n flag or turn each zone on and flag!
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto! Can't get much easier then that. I do the same thing.
  6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my old welding rods with orange tape tyed to the tops
  7. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

To mark his own sprinkler system, and sign off on a form that says you, the landscaper won't be held liable for missed heads. Reason that I do this is that way the homeowner is involved in the job, and I am indemnified against loss. The reason I implemented this policy is that I hit a pipe on one job that was "buried" less than 1 inch deep! Luckily the installer stood by his work and repaired it. Now if we could only get the cable companies to bury their lines to code!
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

AMEN Dave.

Try your best to get the homeowner to do it. It takes too much time to do this for each home.

And it ain't the cable companies, it's the independent contractors! Fortunately, the cable companies know how slack they can be so they rarely say anything.
  9. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

yeah and add your company is not responsible for improperly installed cables and irrigation systems