What to do about slow payers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mojob, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone have a tactful way of dealing with customers that are behind on their payments? I'm talking two months and counting.
  2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I would stop by there office and ask to speak with someone about accounts payable. Ask them face to face what the problem is, the work has been done so where is my money. Don't be nasty, but be firm or some commercial accounts will get behind and then want to drop you when you complain about not getting paid. Send a copy of the bill to whoever is in charge, 2 months is too long to wait, the longest time you should have to wait is about 45 days with some of the larger companies. We have a few snow accounts that take 45 days to pay, but we knew that going into it.
  3. tru turf

tru turf LawnSite Member

4. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

This was my first week tring this tactic. We'll see what happens. These are residential accounts by the way.
  5. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

These are residential accounts by the way.[/QUOTE]

send them a revised copy of the invoice with a 10% late fee added on or pick up the phone and give them a call.... faliure to get a response from them would result in a 15 day demand letter from my lawyer
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:mad: yeah this has been a problem here also, i also love when you do service say in may, bill out may june 1st, do all june, bill out june july 1st, than they pay may and call and say they paid. we just started taking credit cards and seems to have helped greatly, all new accounts that sign up need a valid cc on file. tony

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It's crap i have one customer that has not paid all season last night i sent 4 invoices with a late payment letter.
  8. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

We add 1.5% interest after 30 days each month plus $10 collection fee.
  9. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I Quit Mowing Until They Pay. Most Of My Residential Are Biweek So If I Dont See A Check In Between Cuts They Get Passed By For The Next Cut.
  10. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly!! You wanna pay me 2 weeks late...then I'll mow you 2 weeks late.