1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to do about this client

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by northwest lawn, May 4, 2005.

1. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

about a month ago i posted about a client that wanted to wait to have there spring clean up and first mow of the season done until they called. well they called and wanted it done on may 2 monday. well on monday the weather wasnt all that great a little rainy around 52 degrees. well we show up to mow it and the grass is like six inches tall i mowed it at 3 inces now with the 1/3 rule i cut weigh to much off. when my brother and my other employee left they said it looked good (i had class so i had to leave b4 we were finished.) my brother states that one of them went out and said it looked good.

heres my dilema: they call two days later the other one said that it looked like hell they neighbor pointed out spots that were missed and the grass was chopped up. i know why it looked like **** is because when the temps warmed up today the grass went into shock from having so much cut off they want me to look at it. what should i do if they start to *****. just walk away and never show up?
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

It's easy for us to tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I think you know what you have to do. Close your eyes and pretend like someone did that to your lawn.
    If it was me, I would have gone over, looked over the property and given them an estimate. Then, I would have either called them or talked to them in person about the extra charge they were going to get because of the high grass and then tell them the risks of working when it was wet since they were the ones that wanted it done that day Assuming you could have removed the grass clippings, charged them as such.

What to do now. Can you mow it again? Is it laying down? Back blower straighten it out?

I never work in the rain (I'm talkin real rain, not showers)
  3. northwest lawn

i bagged the whole lawn and its a customer from last season. it was raining when we did it it rained off and on in the am we did it in the after noon
  4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

before he knows it the yard will be long again and it will be cut during normal circumstances. I hate when they let it grow out and then expect you to bushhog it and make it look all nice takes to much of my time and results may be crappy.
  5. northwest lawn

i knew the grass would go into shock we pulled up and i was like wtf if they would of had it cut four weeks ago it would of looked fine all the other lawns that were mowed on monday look good just that one
  6. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

Hey northwest,

Sorry to say it but... it's your bad. Not to worry, I've done the same.

I think you should have set more appropriate expectations and tell them that a) since the grass is very long and also wet that the first cut may look a bit rough and b) cutting 50% off the grass will shock and damage and/or slow the growth of the grass.

As well (as was mentioned above) you should have charged more for the cut. Cutting long grass like that kills your mower. Sounds like your customer waited four weeks to save money. Next time tell them if they wait the cost will go up dramatically due to the extra time and extra wear and tear on your equipment and that it's really not worth it.

I used to get so sick of people calling me in May and even June for the first cut that I would give them outrageous prices... and I mean outrageous! It's really not worth it.

Chalk it up to experience... a lesson learned, make the customer happy and carry on. Next time you'll know.

Happy mowing!