What to do about this:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clemsonfan69, Nov 27, 2004.

1. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

My 42" leaves 'nice' (lol) trails of the grass I just cut. Im sure when I get customers there not gonna want that in their yard. What can I do about this?

I dont think they make add-on baggers for my model.

-CJ

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Maybe your blades are too short.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

is the grass uncut, or just clumps?

4. clemsonfan69

from Florida

Nah, I mean it spits it out the side (the same way a 21" push mower does).

Im not used to a ZTR, so Im not sure if I should build a bagger, cover up the shoot on the side or what.

-CJ

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

what is the thickness of the grass and what type of blades are you using? Also how fast are you going for the particular thickness?

6. lms

lms LawnSite Member

Whether to get a bagger or a mulching kit probably depends the most on the area you operate in. I run a mulching kit on my 48" Tiger Cub and it works great for me! You should also consider running doubles or strictly mulching blades. This way, you could still side discharge. Discharging is much faster than bagging and slightly faster than mulching.

7. lms

lms LawnSite Member

I think it would help give us an idea of your options if you told us specifically what model the mower was.

8. clemsonfan69

from Florida

Blue 1990 dixon 42" ztr (Im just starting out). The blades on here on 'straight' cutting blades. I do have a set of mulching blades I could throw on. Would that help?

What about attaching a piece of metal over the side shoot where it comes out?

-CJ

9. lms

lms LawnSite Member

Those mulching blades would probably help a bit, but if you really want to solve the problem get the mulching kit from Dixon. I don't know what their kit looks like, but if it's a full set of baffles then you should be set. (I wouldnÂ’t recommend just covering up the shoot because you won't get nearly the quality that you could with a dedicated kit.)

10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

are you cutting more than 1/3 off of the grass???