What to do about trimmer line messing up trees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 2k1yzfr1, Apr 26, 2005.

1. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've have had a few complaints here and there about the trimmers taking bark off the trees. We have cut the throttle back to barely idleing around the trees, but still seems to leave it's mark. I am just wondering what ya'll have done that's cheap or free around trees to keep the bark on??

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

for smaller trees (4" caliper and less) I find that some black coroguated (sp?) plastic pipe works good (drain pipe) cut about 6 inches long and split down one side slips over the trunk right at the bottom and is not too ugly... I really hate small trees just for the trimming and I live to see dirt between the grass and trunk. I have one customer that has about 30 new trees and has promptly planted grass right up to the trunk. I don't even trim it sometimes to prove a point. I can trim it but it takes more time to be that careful and I think it's stupid to risk damaging the tree for some stupid grass blades. a fast shot of round-up right around the trunk can solve the problem too.

3. northwest lawn

northwest lawn LawnSite Member

mulch rings

4. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

It Blows my mind why some ppl have to plant 20 trees in their yard and have the grass come right up to them.

5. crosson lawn

crosson lawn LawnSite Member

round up here also or else one inch of long grass around the trunk.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Not to step on any toes, but if you take your time and are careful when trimming, I dont see how you can take bark off trees or leave any marks. If your new at trimming or are careless with the trimmer, I can see this happening. My best suggestion would be to practice and if you have to leave a blade or too of grass around the base of the tree until you get better at it.

7. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i had the same problem when i first started cutting but that was when i hadn't gotten a little practice with the commercial trimmer. i do a lot of corner lots and there's a lot of trimming along the fenceline (wooden) as well as trees. i go very low throttle (but enough to cut the grass) along the fences and around trees and i haven't left any marks whatsoever. try practicing with the trimmer a little. it sure helped me.

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would just practice. what helped me alot, was when I got a commercial trimmer. much more control. oh, and taking the guard of helps me see what I'm doing a lot better.

9. Grassboy 101

Grassboy 101 LawnSite Member

Most have suggested practice, I agree. A good practrice item is to fill a plastic garbage bag with leaves, etc. place it on grass and then trim against the bag without cutting it. If you can do this consistently you will be able to edge along any object and not leave a mark. Grassboy 101

10. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

sell them a small bed with mulch around each tree.