What to do after aerating?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by jds1469, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to aerate my lawn tomorrow and was wondering if there is anything that i should do along with this. I am planning on spreading some compost onto my lawn once im finished. i have heard that dropping redworm eggs into some of the plug holes before tossing will help alot. but one thing is can you have too many worms in your yard as i can only find them by the 1000.

How long should i wait to water as im planning on doing this on tuesday and no rain is coming till friday or early saturday.

how should i go about mowing my lawn. i was thinking of mowing at about 3 - 3.5" before starting anything else.

does this sound about right or am i going about this wrong?

2. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

once its light out ill post a picture of my grass. one thing i forgot to say before is that when i was using a thatch rake last weekend was that i ended up pulling up alot of stringy moss that was laying under the thatch. im going to save a plug and have it tested, or do i need a larger sample then what its going to give me?

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Redworm eggs ??

:hammerhead:

Go to sleep !!! You'll need it !

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

How could moss be growing "under the thatch" !!!!

You must have a HELL of a mess there...or else this whole thead is just a stupid practical joke.

5. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Red-Worm-E...ryZ31691QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

HA I wish it was a joke. its still dark or i would get you a pic. I swear the guy who owned this house before me was a SCOTTS employee. seems all he did was throw that crap down every month and just killed every living thing in the lawn. The thatch on my ground was the worst i had ever seen. my neighbor has his own lawn care business and he had to agree with me. i would have liked to used a machine to dethatch but had read that its not good to do in the spring. it should be daylight in a hour or so and then ill get you a pic of what my grass/moss is doing

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Along with the compost, the spreading of molasses or sugar can help get things going to digest the thatch layer.
    Never heard of 'stringy' moss and never saw it growing in and amongst grass thick enough to cover it in thatch.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You can also topdress with some topsoil/compost mixture to help get things going again.

8. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

I might be thinking way to much of the sugar thing but wouldnt that make my yard an ant wonderland?

I am done with the aerator and am cleaning the plugs off of the side walk (just taking a break). I've already picked up my yard of compost and i didnt pay too much attetion when they were putting it in my bed and it really just looks like clumps of wet dirt not what i had expected. i would love to start my own compost pile but my yard really doesnt fit anywhere to put it.

9. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

[​IMG]
    By jds1469 at 2008-04-22

[​IMG]
    By jds1469 at 2008-04-22

[​IMG]
    By jds1469 at 2008-04-22

these are pics of the stuff i thought was compost. the 2nd pic shows how it just clumps like soil and not at all flakey like what i thought it should be.

sorry the pics arent that good i had to use my palm treo because i couldnt find any AA's for my digital cam

10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I would till that stuff up in a wooden frame and I think you would find it would be fine after that. Do you have a small tiller like a Mantis or a Stihl Kombi?