1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what to do around trees?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by HazellLawnCare, Apr 4, 2002.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

OK I've got a few yards with some big old trees. I plant grass under them every spring and have an awesome stand of grass until the heat of summer kicks in. I know the tree and the bird **** are burning the grass up. I am wanting to put something like a raised bed full of mulch or something around the trees. What do you all do around trees, I'm open to all suggestions.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

Well the tree is probly competing with the grass for water and since that area under the tree is dry shade, There wont be einough moisture in that area for the grass to survive durning hot dry times.... Mulch is good option.... But dont go too high up the base of the tree only a few inches , 3 or 4 at most...
  3. hewitt64

hewitt64 LawnSite Member

I usually put a circulewith mulch around the trees becuase it keeps the siol cooler and holds moisture better. I to fought with that problem for years. If you cant beat em jion em.