What to do for turf in good condition but has patches....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by CRUZMISL, Apr 17, 2006.

1. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

HI All,
    I have a yard that is KBG and the overall turf is very good. Trouble is there are patches in the grass that are different from the rest of the turf. I thought it was poa and applied Dimension but no results were noticed. It's not too bad when the lawn is freshly cut but in between cuttings the patches grow faster than the rest of the KBG and look like little tufts. It's not a bunch type grass either, I really don't know what it is and not all the patches are the same type.

I really don't know how to fix the problem. I was thinking of spraying round up on the patches, cutting it out after it dies and then just laying in a new patch of sod. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks!
    J.

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

annual bluegrass most likely wait a month you won't see it all all.

3. CRUZMISL

CRUZMISL LawnSite Member
    from zone 6

That's what I thought. I aplied the combo dimension heavy too (at about 5lbs/1000sq.ft.) It's been a few weeks since I applied it so we'll see what happens. It looks pretty darn healthy now though........

4. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

Dimension does not kill Poa annua. About the only thing Dimension will kill is seedling crabgrass. Poa annua usually grows about the same speed as KBG. How big are the patches? Is this grass dark green? Is it shinier than the KBG?

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

In the fall, kill the patches and reseed.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Pendimethalin will inhibit poa annua if applied as a fall app. Mowing it high (3") will help suppress it too.