1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do here? Long post

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tom Tom, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Pictures in order are

front island
    side yard
    back yard
    drip thats in place
    another of drip thats in place

Looked at this crappy drip system thats watering mostly established plants. Its sorta funny to see 1 emitter going to a 20' tall tree and large shrubs.

There is no system for the native grass, just drip to trees/shrubs

Another issue is the bi-monthly mowing with drip on the surface and spaghetti tubing all over the place. Its always getting messed up.

I'm thinking all the drip should be removed and let the plants survive on what nature brings, but homeowner wants to be able to water during dry spells.

So, any ideas?

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell that is Kissing Camels. Must've been the lead I sent you. Sorry. :)
  3. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

How long have these plants been on a drip system? Were the plants and the drip installed at the same time? If they were there may be a problem with abandoning the drip. A lot of homeowners don't get educated on how to actually use a drip system. Most run there drip on a daily basis during the growing season. What happens is the root systems on these plants tends to be very shallow. The plant has learned that it doesn't have to root out since the moisture is at an isolated point. This is on plants that have been installed when the drip was installed.
    From what I see in the pictures the plants look pretty healthy. You may want to dig around the canopies of a few to see if there's an aggressive root system. I just finished up a landscape makeover which included some serious issues with the drip system and plants being planted to deep.
  4. If you had been a frequent poster that I like to torment I'd have teased you over this line. Giving plants human qualities around me at least is a big no no. I do see your point.
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

in my soil drip is ideal... sandy, so the water perc's quite fast deep into the ground enabling the roots to travel down...

The monkey that installed that POS drip system should be shot...I hope he put a filter and reducer on it.
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Are you on a well? Soak the whole place with rotors.
  7. Tom Tom

I don't know who installed the mess she has.

System is on city water.

I was thinking of full circle mprotators between the shrubs. Seems like the only solution to provide water(using existing 2 zones) and avoid mowing/trimming damage.
  8. Tom Tom

Thats the one!
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Man!!!! You know the soil conditions up there, almost pure granite. Figure in extra for digging time. Or trencher time.
  10. I am getting more and more happy that I don't do this stuff anymore....what a nightmare. Funny thing is, that area of town is such a dichotomy....POS next door to the Taj Majal...

My biggest nightmares now are folks who have crappy credit but still want to test drive the Challenger....heh heh..