What to do here

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by The landscaper, May 18, 2006.

1. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

What can I do with this bed to give it nice color and make it look good.

fligners front.jpg

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would first get rid of all the weeds by either cultivating them or weedeating or treat them, then cover it with a rich, dark mulch.

Depending on your method of getting rid of the weeds, some follow-up is usually required to maintain control of those pesky things.

You might also if you have a license, throw down some fertilizer on that there grass, rich it up some.
    Once the bed looks good, if the grass greens up ...

p.s.: You probably need 2 cubic yards of mulch but it is hard to say from the picture, it could be more ...

3. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

well you could use some red mulch(it will stand out more then black) and flowers. Also use Roundup or till up the area.

4. ENDURO

ENDURO LawnSite Member

How about giving it some nice color and making it look good!

sorry, i'm at my real job and bored to death.

5. The landscaper

he would like some new bushes and plants in there
    the stuff up front can probably go. The tree can stay

I was thinking of putting something towards each side that was a little bigerr(smaller than the tree though) and putting some plants around it. Maybe some hosta and daylilly. That will give it a little more color and possible throw some annuals in the front for some nice bright color.

6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Hosta? I would advise against that. They need some shade and if they dont have shade, they need to be watered. Maybe put some flowering shrubs for your highest height. Next use some perennials for the medium height and then annuals for your lowest height, and interplant with some bulbs for your border.

7. The landscaper

what kind of flowering shrubs do you recommend?

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It’s hard to see what you have in there, but it appears to be six or more small shrubs all lined up in a row. I’d get away from that, and yes, clean up the weeds and put some mulch down. One thing that I think would really add a nice touch would be one or three large landscape boulders placed partially behind smaller plants. You want to see the boulder(s), but not only the boulder(s). This appears to be a corner lot, so have your smaller plants closer to the streets, landscape boulders behind them, and larger shrubs and tree in the back.

By the way, don't just dump a boulder, or boulders, on the surface. Bury them partially.

9. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Knock out roses and old gold junipers for evergreen, bordered with daylillies or lirope. red,or brown mulch.

10. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

You need some Ornamental Grass--Like Zebra grass