1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

What to do, I'm I asking too much

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Sep 15, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I wanted to get your honest opinion on some pictures. I'm not a rich man by any means and I have alot invested in this mower and with the help of the factory the cut is better but I'm still not satisfied totally. I wanted you to look as some pictures and let me know if I'm being unreasonable or should I get rid of this mower and try to get at least some of my money back. I have made all the modifacations that the factory suggested, keep blades sharp, checked the pitch, cleaned the deck and its still just an ok cut, if that. I have no interest in bashing a good company but as conditions improve I thought the cut would also. Some of my customers would never notice the uneven cut but alot would drop me. I have several pictures from today. The weather has improved but there is still some moisture in the grass but conditions are not going to get much better. Should I ask the factory to buy if back. I have put so many hours working on this mower and sometimes it cuts ok but I can't count on it at all times. This is not a bashing thread and I have lots of good things to say about this mower but I can't keep my customers happy and stand to loose alot of money for a mower that is still basically a rough cut mower. At times it cuts ok, in a perfect manicured lawn but this type uneven cut happens too often for it to be reliable.

Mowing II 012.jpg

2. tacoma200

another pic

Mowing II 007.jpg

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

It aint the mower its the grass type, I get the same things down here with my 44z, just double cut or use string trimmer on it.

4. tacoma200

I am going at a slow rate of speed and this grass is only 6 days old cutting at 3.25" by the guage which is off a bit. This is as easy of mowing as I'm going to get. I have intalled the lift kit and triangles, cleaned the deck, put new blades on, keep the rpms up, took off the flex forks, etc. Some lawns it does good but never great. This lawn should be a piece of cake. I have mowed this lawn with the Lazer for years and it never misses a blade and they are all cut even.

Mowing II 006.jpg

Mowing II 013.jpg

Mowing II 010.jpg

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

It is always hard to tell from photos, but, it looks like it is the turf.

They appear to be those crazy weedy grasses that bend over like cir de sole acrobat contortionists. They will lay down as the mower goes over them and pop out the back uncut or 1/2 cut at best.

You either have to slow way down or double cut to get them all.

6. tacoma200

Here is the Lazer in much worse conditions (2 weeks)

Mowing II 002.jpg

7. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

thats tough, if u did it with the lazer with no probs, its gotta be the hustler.....did u try using different blades? Are u using high lifts?

8. tacoma200

If its the turf why doesn't this happen with the Lazer. Why do some of my customer ask me to mow with the red one. How much slower can I go than 5-6 mph. I may have problems with clippings sometimes bu the Lazer leaves a crisp cut in any thing. NEVER and I mean NEVER has I had a quality cut issue with the Lazer. I can idle around at 2/3 trottle and cut this like carpet. Been doing this lawn for years with no problems. I agree the turf is not the best but thats what we deal with in this area. Check this picture of a back yard I was getting ready to cut with the Lazer

k 009.jpg

9. tacoma200

One pass with the Lazer blowing clippings into the fence but still a perfect cut. Sorry if I seem to be complaining a bit but I've tried everything to get a good cut and I have worked with the company and done what they recomended. It's just been a bad day for me trying to get a good cut. It has dried alot so I can't keep blameing the bad cut on the weather. I am telling you without a doubt and I can look up pics of the same lawn wit the Lazer to show you it isn't the turf.

k 010.jpg

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If you were cutting a well maintained lawn you might have an issue, however that lawn in the pictures is hardly well maintained from a fert and squirt standpoint.
    You're cutting crabgrass and what you've got in the first pic is pretty normal.