What to do in the off-season.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Aug 23, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

I just recently started my business and only have a few customers. In a couple of months I will totally retire from my present job and pursue landscaping full-time,but given the fact that the growing system here will soon be ending,I'm not likely to be very busy.
    I want to use the fall and winter months to educate and prepare myself as much as possible about this business so I can "hit the ground running" in the spring.Where do I go to learn about this business?Is there some kind of certification program available that would be beneficial?Any good courses offered at technical colleges? I want to be able to offer as many services as possible to my customers: fertilzation,preparing beds,etc.I have some money set aside to live on for awhile but need to get the cash flow going ASAP.Any help from the pros would be greatly appreciated. Jim

2. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Allstar,
    Yes, the offseason is always a tough one to live with. We do quite a bit of snow removal work for our clients (when it snows). This bring in a good few $$$ for very hard work under severe weather conditions.
    I also do year round light construction, remodel and home improvement work and have already started lining up some indoor projects for the winter months.
    For the preparation of your official launch in the 2004 season, I will call your local extension office and find out from them when do they have certification classes and then go and get yourself certified and lisenced. There you will learn a whole lot just to statrt off with and in the meantime stay connected to this website. This is where you will learn the rest of what you need to know about the industry.
    Good luck and good fortune
    PC

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

relax eat and get fat :p then rinse & repeat

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Make a new mattress with all the cash...........:blob3:

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We do tree work,and sub contracting for construction contractors.
    (demolition etc.)

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -