1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do in the winter????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

What are some services or things you do during the winter to keep money coming in? I live in houston, TX so there is no snow to shovel. I try tree trimming and raking leaves, but that doesnt amount to much for me. Any other things you know that I should try to keep a few bucks coming in? Thanks

2. crs

crs LawnSite Member

During the winter I do a lot of mulching and bed edging. I also schedule hardscaping during this time. Around here (central North Carolina) late winter is a good time to do severe prunig on a lot of plants. You can also do clean up work. Usually I wind up doing a whole lot more than I really want to during my "slack time".

Good luck:blob1:
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We do some small landscape installs in the winter. Otherwise most of the commercial ground maintenance keeps us busy.
  4. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Drink coffee and look at Lawnsite or do odd jobs- I prefer the first though.
  5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I plow snow if it snows.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I push snow too :) I've always thought about doing painting if it dosn't snow
  7. HacMan91

HacMan91 LawnSite Member

Put back some money so you can hunt. Youre in the deer hunting capital of the world!! Then cut bushes and lay pine straw.Good Luck.
  8. Turfcouncil

Turfcouncil LawnSite Member

I hate painting but every winter i get stuck with a house or two.
    Good money but i pity the people that have to do it everyday.
    I tend to make a mess
  9. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I head to the car wash for the winter....it is a very cold job in 10 degree weather but they are super busy in the winter and it gives me something to do
  10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Be a used car salesman. :D