What to do in the winter

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tmc8524, Jan 24, 2008.

1. tmc8524

tmc8524 LawnSite Member

I have been doing lawncare part time for about 5 years now and working another part time job to keep me occupied in the winter. I'm wondering what sort of work i can do in the winter to keep me busy. Snowfall here is not very dependable either.

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

use your truck for transporting stuff
    painting rooms if you have the patients...I don't:hammerhead:
    small tree removal with stump grinding in spring be careful of ins reasons
    equipment repairs but this wont make you money
    FREEZE.....well at least we are up hear in new England
    advertise and scout out new customers and areas.
    rubbish removal with your truck
    clean your truck. I wish I had more time to do this when its warm out
    Part time job:confused:
    Sleep
    Bed prep. I do some large projects in the winter. It is harder and slower because of the cold, but keeps me busy and some cash flow coming in. Be careful of wall work and whatnot because ground settling will impact the wall come spring thaw.

Most of all, use your mind. Let your customers know your willing to do small jobs if they need. Many times it could be the difference between boredom and broke.

If worse comes to worse, there is always lawn site.:clapping::clapping:

3. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

i usually don't do nothing during the winter . this winter i found a company that sells liquidated high performance auto parts . i did a search on ebay and decided that i could move the items fast plus make a killer profit... so i have been doing that for the last month .
    I cleared $1,765.37 in 12 days just sitting on my ass and running to the post office one time.

I am all ready waiting on my next shipment of parts............... also i don't expect to make that kinda of money every time, i was the only preson selling those parts that i had on ebay i wish i would have had more . IF i thought i could do that every month i would sale my mowers in a heart beat

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I read worthless threads on lawnsite.com all day

5. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

6. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

if ya going be on the pc all day might well make some money at

btw anybody looking for WARN lockingand fulltime hubs for ford , dodge or chevy pm me for a killer deal:usflag:

7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I keep part time job year round at the Home Depot they let me work as little as 4 hours during my peak buiss and i kick up to 30-40 hrs a week in the winter. its a big help for me with benefits and a good 401k

8. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

I deliver pizzas about 20 hours a week just to get me out of the house and moving around..I know it sounds stupid but i make around 15 bucks an hour after tips, plus it puts me in contact with ALOT OF new people!!! And I always try and slip in what i do during the summer, haha great stuff

9. lawnprofessional1

lawnprofessional1 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Sleep in, play on the computer, tinker in shop, a few leaf jobs (if I feel like it), trim a few trees, etc...

10. Allens LawnCare

Allens LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hook up with an oil company.....they don't mind if you only work in the winter..that's when they get the busiest. Also a good way to meet new customers