What to do in this front "yard"

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bdoss123, Sep 1, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Well just as title says, I'm trying to come up with a plan to handle this side of the house. It is on the road-side of the house on a 1/2 acre lot. Tree removal isn't going to happen (tree trimming might be possible).

Is there any chance grass would grow on this side of the house (it is facing southwest)? Fescue will be used on the other three sides for sure. If not, what else might work?

Also, I am trying to figure out bed designs for around the trees. The third pic shows an angle from the bottom of the yard. The trees form two lines, one on the right side and one on the left side, in that picture. I could create two rows with beds, which would leave a ~20ft strip in between.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

- BD

front1.jpg

front2.jpg

front3.jpg

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

do a soil test, lime will be needed, lots of it. but do a test to see what needs to be done.

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Without a test here's what I say:

1. Looks like you need a shade mix grass seed first.

2. 50 lbs per 1000sqft lime......get pellets, not powder (easier to work with)

3. Aerate 4 times and broadcast 1/4" compost (sling it with a shovel, once the area looks covered/nice and black move on)

4. Starter fert

Do the seed before and after the compost. Water once a day (twice if really dry) for 2 weeks..........seed will germinate around 10. Just get it nice and wet, don't have to soak it. Trees you may want to try cutting some limbs to let the sun through a little more.

There's a start for you!

4. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Thanks a ton for the advice you guys. This, unfortunately, is the street side of my own home. Will putting down the lime now, at all affect my seeding results two weeks from now?

Also, I was going to go with slice-seeding as opposed to overseeding, any problems with that?

I am also going to be seeding the other areas of my yard, which actually get a good amount of sun. I was thinking about using Lesco Tri-Gold or some other transitional seed. What should I add or change for the shaded area?

Thanks again,
    BD

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Slice seeding will get the seed to soil contact for sure, just be careful around the trees and don't get into any roots. I had a line of big pines like that taken down next to my house. When they get that big they're too big to manage and they will sooner or later suffer some sort of problem.
    My thoughts on pine? Great for large tracts for future income, pisspoor for homes. Don't get me started on magnolias!

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Lime usually takes a few months to become effective. I don't know if I would put it down now or after grass is established. Our yard is smaller (about 5k sqft) and I only came up with 80lbs for the whole yard. As far as a bed I would maybe take a few pictures from the road showing the whole side. Its tough to see it with those pics.

7. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Yeah, the pines suck. I like having the line as a buffer close to the road, but the three or four closest to the house need to go.

How did you manage the roots left behind after clearing yours?

- BD

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I'm no tree expert but, it seems like the roots are coming to the surface worse than before the trees were cut down.
    The ground around the trees never grew grass very well because of the shade and constant pine needles.
    Consider leyland cypress for a buffer, they grow really fast.
    I've broadcast seed and not had much luck. Slice seeding is a no brainer because it gets the seed into the dirt.

9. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I was told that cutting the pines would only scratch the surface of my problem, as there would be a hell of a root system to deal with afterwards.
    Maybe I'll leave them and hope for an ice storm and an insurance payment, j/k.

I think I am going to trim some of the lower limbs by myself and then go with slice seeding. If I am going to use some sort of Transitional blend of TTTF, should I mix with a finer shade tolerant fescue on this side of the house? Or go strictly with the fine fescue on this side?

Thanks again,
    BD