1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What to do? Local or Not.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Jan 3, 2004.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Ok As you all know (if you have been reading anyways) I have been looking for a 36" hydro walk behind. This is my dilema. For you Exmark fans is exmark worth driving 180 miles for waranty work or should I go with the local deal on a husqvarna hydro?
    I have a deal on an exmark tthp 36 for 4100 180 miles away but no dealer support.
    I have a deal on a Husqvarna whf4215ets for 4000 and can probably get for 3800.
    I am ready to buy before february so I am asking is the exmark worth the 180 miles to get the waranty work done?
    THank you for all of your responses.
    P.S. I do have a toro dealer but they do not cater to the small guy only the large companies so it means I am on the back burner when the large guy breaks down.
  2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I would never buy a mower if I had to drive overa half hour to have it serviced. Exmark is not that great of a mower to drive that far. Is there any John Deere Dealers in your area. I use All John Deere and in 4 years never had any proplems with the dealers
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

WeatherMan, For the price JD is out of the question. I can get way more out of husqvarna than the JD and dealer support is excelent. Thank you though.
  4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I would buy the Husqvarna, if there were no other dealers close by. The dealer is just as important, if not more important than the brand of mower you choose. Every time you need a part or work done you would have to travel 180 miles.

Lovell's Lawn Care
  5. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Not that great of a mower?? lol

My buddie's 36" exmark, similar to mine but older, is going on it's 4th season and he hasn't had it on the shop once. Dealer support? What's that. Sure stuff happens, but when you buy quality, at least in my opinion, is not as big of a factor. Like my shindiawas, 8 of them, and they've never been in the shop for anything major, none of them. I don't need dealer support. What if you found a great deal on a used low hour machine, a deal you couldn't pass up, where's the dealer support there? I'm not saying buying new with a great dealer is not important, it's just not to me.

I recommend the exmark.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'm with weatherman on this one theres no way I'm driving 180 miles unless I was saving enough that I wouldn't care about dealer support same as buying used and thats how it would have to be priced

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

You never know when somthing breaks. Maybe go with the Toro and be sure to have a back if possible. Or look for a Lesco dealer.
    Also dont rush, you have a month to go.
  8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You all know I’m all for red but in this case I would vote Husqvarna. The reviews I’ve seen are pretty decent (enough to make me get one if in this situation) and they are some nice mowers really. 42” is a cut size you can’t get with other brands of walk behinds, except Toro’s 44”, so this might be a plus for it (may make it harder to get different kinds of blades such as Gators though, since most machines’ blades are interchangeable) Their control system looks nice but I haven’t tried it yet. They have a floating deck with a lift lever at the back with adjustments back there too, straight off of a ZTR. That’s a really really cool feature IMO. I demo’d a 36” fixed deck belt drive Husqvarna with a 14hp Kawasaki, about a year and a few months ago. Really it was a nice little mower, at least as nice and well-built as all the other belt drives I have tried since then (48” JD, 48” Lesco, 36” Toro T bar, maybe others I can’t remember). The dealer was going to give it to me for $1500 (like new demo model) with 2 year full warranty, I almost got it but shyed out because I didn’t have enough work for it and the dealer turned out to be a dud. But I would give it a shot, just check out the dealer real well. I’ve seen a couple other shady dealers since then, so it’s not anything wrong with one brand just a couple bad eggs. Ask everyone you know what they think of that dealer. Everyone I’ve talked to since my bad experience with the Husqy dealer has similar opinions as I do.
    Sorry for this being long, but I hope it helped. No I wouldn’t drive 180 miles for eXmark if I couldn’t work on the machine myself. I have an eXmark but got it used (’99 model) and I don’t like our eXmark dealer. Never broke down on me yet, and I do all my own mechanicing so a used one is good for me and I don’t give a rip about the dealer (would be different if it was new though, for sure).
    Good luck, let us know what you do and don’t get in a big hurry :) do your research and you’ll be fine.
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Buy what you think is the better mower for the money. Is either dealer "good"? How many times is the average mower that is bought new in the shop for warranty work anyway? For the most part, they just dont breakdown that quickly, any brand.
  10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Dealer support is far more important than brand, IMO. I'm partial to JD and run all JD equipment (mostly due to great dealer support in my area), but if they weren't around I'd be all over Exmark, Shindaiwa, etc. In your case, Husky. If NASA made commercial mowers, would you be willing to buy one if you had to drive to Florida every time it needs a parts, service, or repair (assuming of course that even a mower built by NASA engineers would need service sooner or later. . .) ? . . . Just food for thought. Anyhow, to answer your question - - Husky.