What to do? Lower or leave it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Aug 17, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

What would you guys do?

I told a regular customer of mine that it would cost $205 to install a hydregeanea and a hosta, it cost me $20 for both plants.

I didnt think they would be that cheap because i thought it would of costed me $60 total and i thought I would have to buy soil as well.

So total materials came out to like $30 and i told her on the phone it would be $205 to install everything..

Now I told her it would be $205 because my material cost would be $100. Now that its like $70 lower,

Would you guys keep the price @ 205 or lower it to $125?

She's a regular customer that does not complain, always saids we do good work and pays right away.. I mean right away, the next day.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Lower it, and keep the customer. Lower it to $150 so you still make a good profit.

3. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

I wouldn't take advantage of a good customer. Also I never get in to my costs. The time spent picking out plantings delivering ect. is a cost to be recovered. I usually figure doubling the cost to me plus labor.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You have to live with your self. I would lower the price and pass the savings onto the customer under the hopes that they will now use you even more and you will end up getting the additional money in the long run.

Gravely_Man

5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

She was fine with 205 to start so why change it now? Its all extra profit in your pocket.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, why do you quote prices without first checking material cost? Unless you buy plant material from a box store and they were blowing them out the door just to get rid of stock. In that case, YOU should make the profit and reap the savings.

I wouldn't drop the price at all. If she agreed to a price, that's what she pays. Next time you give her a price and plant material is higher, she'll think you are now ripping her off. At one point in time I was an idiot and passed the savings back to the customer, then I realized that those occasional savings end up being eaten up by my misfortunes later. Sometimes we need to make a little more than fair money to offset the unknowns, like bark chunks getting caught in pulleys and ripping belts off the mowers, the ever constant flat tires on trailers, the rain days, the dry spells, the broken equipment. Sure, these are costs of doing business, but it sure doesn't hurt to offset them in our favor once in awhile.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'd tell her that you were able to get a better deal on the plantings and therefore you were going to pass the savings on to her and I bet in the long run it pays even more as she tells others about you.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Bill her for like $175-185.
    She sees you as a nice guy, and you still are able to put a little "extra" in your pocket.

Everyones happy!

9. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, but all you guys are giving me different answers...

I did that before, I told a customer it would be $300 to do some work.. But it was significantly less because the materials were a lot less then i quoted her. I told her that it would be $250 and she said thank you and just gave me $260..

oh well, I'm not sure wha to do with this one..

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Let your conscience be your guide.
    We all do this stuff to stuff our pockets..........
    How much stuffing is always the question............

I wouldn't have quoted it that high to begin with, but...........