What to do NOW....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjsquickcuts, Jul 15, 2007.

1. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I am in sort of a dilemma....I have been adding on accounts left and right, but that was while we were dry and grass wasnt really growing all that fast and was once over and done. Different story now that we have started to get rain. We have had to start double cutting most lawns now and that has added time to our work day. I was getting back to the shop around 530, no later then 6, but lately its been around 7 or 8 with some days around 9. I am sort of want to cut some folks off, but everybody is paying on time for the most part, and all my lawns were hand picked. Really dont want to buy another truck and start a new crew, but it might be my only escape because its only going to worst as the sun starts going down early. Anybody else having this Great problem to have.....lol
  2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, to the point that I have become very very selective as to what properties I will agree to service.
    As of last week my crews cut over 175 acres total on different sites and they had to push to get that amount done. Had the accounts been slow payers I would drop them but they aren't so the boys are grooving to the extra $.
  3. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

72" scag with bigger engine option
  4. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I feel your pain bro.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
  5. Bigray

Bigray LawnSite Member

consider selling some of your cust. to another LCO. in your area.

just a thought
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

tj...problems of volume can be solved...it's when you have no volume to speak of you have a problem
  7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

72inch is too big. I am barely getting the 61inch on most properties. I am think of adding another mower and trim guy per crew. That might help, but just hate to add two more heads on my payroll. Oh, and not to mention scatterred storms are expected all week, so we will really see how well I can maintain my schedule. We worked Saturday because we were behind from Monday and Tuesdays rain. Well good luck to the rest of you guys, because I need it now that the rains are back.
  8. acm8705

acm8705 LawnSite Member

How about raising your price per cut. The customers that truly appreciate your service will keep you and the people looking for cheap service will find someone new. Start by raising the price on the lawns that provide the lowest amount of profit and go from there.

It has worked for me.
  9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You're complaining because you have to much work?

Will wonders never cease?

The rain wont last forever. Tough it out till it slows down.
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

a guys in my area did this, he was too cheap to go get a day labor, so he lost about 17 accounts....