What to do? Replacing dormant bermuda grass with flower bed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Monster Zero, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Monster Zero

Monster Zero LawnSite Member

Someone help me out here... I'm going to be installing a plan that calls for two small bed areas, in places that are presently covered with dormant bermuda grass.

So... what do I do? Can't use roundup to kill it... Dig it up and haul off the soil, and bring in new topsoil? How deep would I have to dig it out to be sure to get all the rhizomes?

Or is there another way of doing this that doesn't involve digging it up? I can't wait for it to come out of dormancy, that's over a month away and the client has made a decision about it NOW.
  2. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

I've experenced here in Arkansas that bermuda will grow only with in 6 to 8 inches of top soil. So, I will dig it up 1 foot and replace with new soil. It is advised that you build up a good edge so existing bermuda will have a difficult time invaing you newly installed landscape. During the growing season, spray r-up along the outer edge, less than one inch periodically. Also, remember to advise those who will be mowing to mow so that there will be no clipping to be blown in to landscape. It will only take one stolon or rizome with node to start a new plant.

In California, bermuda will grow 8 to 12 feet deep, this tell me bermuda is elavation regulated, but that just my theory.