What to do to an employee? ran off road

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by clyde, Oct 26, 2012.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

My number 1 guy ran the trailer off the road this morning. He hit something and it literally folded the rim in on itself.... and bowed the axle tire is now leaning 10 degrees. This is my 6x14 single axle with plywood in bed.
    The road has a little swerve to it, but we go down it 3 days a week or more. My other worker told me later he was going faster than he should have ( 40 mph limit he was probably doing 45-50 ). Tire cost me 100, rim 70, if we can't straighten axle this weekend 200.00.

The only thing i can say is this road needs maintenance its a cut through road for us. So i can understand how he might get it off a little but to have put it in a ditch that hard he wasn't focusing.

This guy is pretty dependable and other than not being the sharpest tool in the shed is a very good worker.

What measurements would some of u take?

I didn't lose my cool in front of him, i did how ever say he was fixing the axle this weekend.

2. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sounds like part of the business. No action needs to be taken. Tell him to slow down and pay attention.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

part of the job, unless you can prove it was done out of spite or willful, just turn in the receipts for taxes.

4. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

I would do the same.

5. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Things happen, sounds like this guy makes you a lot more $$$ than what he cost. I would make it a point that he knows helping this weekend to fix it isn't a punishment, you need his help.

Your other guy sounds like he's just trying to get a few brownie points. :)

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Incident needs to be documented with an incident report with corrective action addressed and placed in employees file,,, all of this should be outlined in your HR SOP's and employee handbook.

If he works on the weekend he still needs to be paid.

7. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

"If he works on the weekend he still needs to be paid."

Agree, I thought that was a given. LOL

8. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What incident needs to be documented? Maybe the guy hit a pothole and caved the rim, or the trailer drifted off of a low shoulder causing the damage? Actually, I'd do an internal investigation then repremand the employee immediately :hammerhead:

9. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, it's sad but that's they way the world works now. When you have your sit down with the employe make sure that you have another supervisor or management there.

10. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Just thought I'd throw that out their.. a lot of "employers" think they can deduct damages to equipment and property from an employee or they can have them "work it off".